Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jeddysm

Antique or just something cool to refurbish?

jeddysm
11 years ago

Hello, my wife has this wooden chaise lounge chair in our garage. Her Mom was planning to refurbish it and the project was never started. I am trying to figure out if it is antique or not before I attempt to find someone to refurbish it as it has a few large problems. It has a few interesting markings on the inside which may be a clue or they are just markings to line the legs up with, I am not sure and I have no experience with this at all.

Would anyone know where I would start to try and identify it?

Thanks very much for your time!

Here is a link that might be useful: {{gwi:1384540}}

Comments (13)

• palimpsest
    11 years ago

Egyptian Revival chaise/recamier?

• lindac
    11 years ago

I agree....or perhaps French Empire.
    Antique and very nice....please don't paint it and have it upholstered in the proper style.
    Scroll down to #5 in the link posted.
    Linda C

Here is a link that might be useful: recalmier

• jeddysm
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thank you both for the quick reply! It's great to have a starting point and I will start digging based on your information.

• sombreuil_mongrel
    11 years ago

Looks to be rosewood (leg detail pic). The squared-off scrolls and interlocked ring motifs on the skirt are Chinese. So I'd say it's asian.
    Casey

• Fori
    11 years ago

Too cool to not refurbish (in a tasteful restoration kind of way)!

Your mother-in-law had good taste.

• olympia_gardener
    11 years ago

It looks like Asia. It has Chinese name on one of the pictures, probably is the craftsman's who made it.

• lindac
    11 years ago

Ooh! interesting....I just took another look at the pictures and the one with the fleur d'lis shows the remains of caning....
    It originally was caned likely with a cushion over the cane.

Nothing Asian or Chinese about it.....
    You can do caning yourself....not hard just boring.
    There is likely a piece missing between the "handles" on the curved chair back part.

• calliope
    11 years ago

The fleur di lis also struck me as decidedly un-Asian, but very occidental trying to look Asian.

• sombreuil_mongrel
    11 years ago

Where do you see a Fleur de Lis? it has THREE sections, not five.
    A bundle of five foliate motifs is a sheaf, not an FdL.
    Casey

• calliope
    11 years ago

Yes.......could be more properly called a sheath, but it didn't really look like that either. Whatever you wish to call it doesn't wasn't the point and not worth correcting Linda over, it's not a motif you'd find on an Asian piece. Books, films, clothing styles and furniture produced in the era when asian was considered romantic took great liberties with their interpretations because the audience at that time seldom left their county, let alone country and would never notice anyway.

• newebikekeie
    11 years ago

A bit like a Chinese arts and crafts, worth collecting

Here is a link that might be useful: street view

• lazy_gardens
    11 years ago

I think it's Asian-made, but made by someone copying a concept that is not native to China or Korea. The shape of the back rail and the "hoof" feet are characteristically Chinese/Korean chair details, but their own chaise lounges and daybeds were not that style.

Hybrid styles are fairly common where there was a large expatriate population trying to recreate home styles with local materials.

I once saw a Korean storage piece that was a copy of a Hoosier cabinet (made to the specifications of a missionary's wife) and had a totally "Queen Anne" chair that was made in Shanghai with some Chinese detailing.

• calliope
    11 years ago

Good point.