Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
alisande_gw

Let's start an Old Photos thread...

alisande
17 years ago

Deejayw's post gave me the idea of sharing some of our old family photos. I love looking at old pictures, even if I didn't know the people. I don't have very many digitized images because I didn't get my good scanner yet. But here's one to start.

This is my paternal grandfather, an opera singer. Eye makeup aside, he was very good looking, don't you think? My son (who doesn't wear eye makeup) looks strikingly like him.

Comments (25)

• lindac
    17 years ago

Rudloph Valanto's cousin!!!
    What was his name? Where did he sing?

• cecilia_md7a
    17 years ago

Please post approximate dates to go along with your photos. I think this thread is a great idea!

• alisande
    Original Author
    17 years ago

I'm guessing that photo was taken in the 1890s. He and my grandmother started having children in 1903, but I don't know how old he was. I have it recorded in my genealogy file, but it's not handy.

His name was Harry Luckstone, and he sang with an opera company that traveled around the country. He was a baritone, and a very good one from the reviews. (The reviews also praised his looks. :-) ) My grandmother ran away from home at 16 to go on the stage, and that's how they met.

• User
    17 years ago

Looks like he's in toreador costume, and he's a baritone, so that would probably be Escamillo, in "Carmen".

• saflood
    17 years ago

I love that picture! How did you get that picture on here? I have a picture of an old item that I found in my house and I would like to have people look at it to tell me what it is. However, I can't get the picture to show up on my posting.

• alisande
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Saflood, probably the easiest method is to open a Photobucket account. It's free. Once you've uploaded your photo(s) to Photobucket, you can copy and paste the tag line (it will be obvious at that point) into your message, and it will appear in the post.

• lorinscott_1
    17 years ago

Fun thread! Here's a photo of my paternal grandmother taken about 1907, laying on top of a bowl of clippings she cut of out the paper regarding WWI (poems of praise and prayers for soldiers, etc.) and letters she sent home while she was on her "grand tour" of Europe....

This was her mother, my great-grandmother, date picture taken unknown but probably turn of the century, sitting by the hearth at their home in Cambridge, NE.....

This was their home in Cambridge....don't know if you can make it out, but there's a horse in the front yard....

In the photo of great-grandma, you'll notice a vase on the hearth mantle.....here's that same vase, on my bureau in our bedroom today....

• alisande
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Lorin, how nice! When I first read your post in my email, before seeing the pictures, I thought your grandmother herself was lying on the clippings. It sounded very creative! :-)

Your great-grandparents' home looks very much like the house I live in. Thanks for sharing these with us!

My house. The crooked "pole" is a sunflower. I always leave one for effect. :-)

• lorinscott_1
    17 years ago

Your home does look like my great-grandparents' home.....yours is quite pretty with the snow and sculptural trees. And after re-reading my post, I can certainly see why you'd get that idea if you'd not seen the pix....lol!

• morgan88
    17 years ago

oh how i wish i had a scanner! i have so many old photos that i would like to scan so i could just look at the copies while keeping the originals protected. i have one in particular, an old aunt, very striking "Dr. S. Bessie Mcfarland". doctor of what i don't know.

i really enjoy this thread. i love looking at old photos.

• alisande
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Morgan, I don't have a scanner yet. I've been saving for a good one to use to preserve and restore my father's photographs, many of which are in negatives of various sizes. I used my digital camera to take a picture of the photo of my grandfather. The results aren't quite as good as a scanner would give, but it's a good way to get a digital image until you have a scanner.

Susan

• lindac
    17 years ago

My scanner is a scanner/printer/copier and was under $100 at Sam's club a couple of years ago. The one before that cost about $60....but this is 3 in one and saves desk space....and my printer had died.
    Scanners are not expensive.
    Linda C

• alisande
    Original Author
    17 years ago

True, many scanners are quite inexpensive. But I need one that will accommodate various sizes of negatives and slides, and has features to assist in photo restoration. The one I've chosen is $350 at Amazon (cheapest source). There are many models that would set me back a lot more, but I also have the printer to consider. If I decide to go with very high quality b&w printing, that'll land me in the $700 range. Might be worth it to me, as these are my dad's photographs.

Susan

• a1tomo
    17 years ago

Hi, I'm new to this forum and this thread caught my attention.

I have a Canon Canoscan lide50 flatbed scanner that I paid about 40 bucks for. It has done a super job on my old family photos but now would like to get a new one to scan slides. Any recommendations?

Thanks

Tom

• alisande
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Hi Tom - I asked around at photography sites, and the one that was most highly recommended to me is the Canon CanoScan 9950F. Amazon recently reduced their price on it (see link below), but it looks as though they've eliminated the free shipping, too.

Susan

Here is a link that might be useful: Canon 9950F at Amazon

• a1tomo
    17 years ago

Thanks for the input Susan, will look into it. Have to get my boss (wife) to loosen the purse strings.

Have a great day!

Tom

• lindac
    17 years ago

I surely agree with the concept to buy good equipment to preserve heirlooms....but in the grand scheme of things, it's better to spend a quick $75 now and get some pictures on a disc than wait and....wait.....and not get around to it...
    And if your grandfather's pictures are like some that my relatives took....not all are worth "archiving"....I save the bulk and have the special ones professionally done.
    Linda C

• deejayw
    17 years ago

Just signed on for the first time in a few weeks...way too busy lately! Finally found a few extra minutes to update my "Intriguing stuff" post about Aunt Alice and the picture of her fiance, the locket, etc...But, then I saw this thread, and got sidetracked! What a pleasant surprise to learn I insprired it. (Thanks Alisande-Love that pic of your grandfather!) I love this stuff, and I'm glad to see that other people do also.
    I especially love old family photos that contain a picture of something that has been handed down through the generations-like Lorin's great grandmother and the vase...love it!
    Found another one of my own like that...In trying to solve the Aunt Alice mystery, I was going through some more old family photos. I found a picture of my grandparents, and a bunch of other relatives, in front of the fireplace in my grandparents home. On the mantel, is a pair of Brass CandleSticks that were made my great grandfather. The picture was taken in the 1930's, and I think the candlesticks would have been made around 1865-1885. I have the candlesticks.

I've not had any success scanning pic's with my all in one printer. Quality just not good. Any tips on that, Linda?

Dee.

• cherbo
    17 years ago

I have never posted to this forum but couldn't pass this tread up. I LOVE old photos. I hope more will contribute.

Here is digital scrapbooked page I did of an old picture post card that came from my paternal grandmothers post card album witch I also used on the page. It is full of many of these old post cards and pictures. Many are from friends and school mates from the school she attended before moving to Kansas. My grandmother, Audrey Mills is the girl 2nd from the left in the front row. I think the year was 1909.
    {{gwi:1384531}}
    Cheryl

• alisande
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Cheryl, I don't know how you did that, but the effect is wonderful! Excellent job. Tell me, what was the name of the town in Kansas? I'm afraid it looks like Fatville to me. Surely not!! :-)

Susan

• cherbo
    17 years ago

Oh, Alisande it does look like Fatvillve doesn't it. It is Oatville. I think it is now a part of Wichita.

• pickeral
    17 years ago

Grandma / Dad / Dale..... Leaving for Canada

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v72/jrobert/DADDALEGRANDMA.jpg

Here is a link that might be useful:

• zeffyrose
    17 years ago

Hi Susan----I'm so happy I stopped in here today---I LOVE these old pictures----I have so many----I don't have a scanner but I did take a digital picture of some of them.I love the picture of your grandfather--and your home is precious.

{{gwi:208586}}

My paternal granparents and their four sons and the family home in New Jersey.this home was lost during the depression and I always wanted to buy it back and raise my children there but it never worked out.
    My father had polio and crawled on his hands and knees untill he was 18 and then used braces and crutches----He used the billy goats and then the pony for transportation

In the famuly picture you can see the leather pads on his knees to protect them when he crawled---He had a fabulous personality--I could write a book about this wonderful man.

In the family picture my father is the boy on the right --He was born in 1904.

Florence

• alisande
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Hi Florence - I'm glad you found this thread, too! Where in NJ was the house? My father was from Bergen County, and he was born in 1903.

So many old pictures of a family together were taken on the front lawn, usually with the porch visible behind. I wonder why we don't do that so much anymore. As settings go, it's ever so much nicer than a portrait studio...

Susan

• zeffyrose
    17 years ago

My family and I grew up in Hamilton Township N.J.
    The family home was on a Lake which is now called Gropp's Lake---it was Lakeside Lake when I was growing up but that is another whole story about the name change----

I love this forum and lurk quite often and then I recognized your name from the Rose Forum

It is pleasant over here--.lots of neat things.

Florence