Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mahatmacat1

Oh my goodness -- look at this auction

mahatmacat1
14 years ago

What is this mark, the triangle D? I didn't see it in Dux, but maybe I just missed it...who is J. Stewart? Imagine if more people knew about it? The bidding war? AY AY AY. The sellers had NO idea about what this was.

Here is a link that might be useful: the auction of my dreams...

Comments (19)

• lindac
    14 years ago

J Stewart is a famous sculptor....but I didn't know he worked in porcelain.....and I have no idea what that "D" is.
    The winning bidder is "private"....makes you wonder......
    Linda c

• alisande
    14 years ago

The seller started the auction at $49. I wonder if he had a reserve on it.

• lindac
    14 years ago

Very fishy.....why would someone jump a bid to $11,000 and something and lose it for $100....in the last 3 hours?

• mahatmacat1
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Linda, do you have a link to the J Stewart you're referring to? I'm not sure of the one I found.

and the way I read it, the guy who won had a bid that exceeded the private guy's bid, and the private guy tried to win it in the last minute, but was outbid by that $100 (maybe just the minimum bidding margin, at that level?) and couldn't place a re-bid? Didn't work it fast enough?

It sure does look fishy, though, just by price alone. Wonder what the story is.

• lindac
    14 years ago

Private started the bidding at 100, ss went to $155....the next bid by private was $11,175...nothing in between, and lost it to ss for an additional $100....3 hours after the big jump.
    Fishey!
    As to Stewart....I just knew he was a sculptor....but upon googling, I find there are several who could be J...a John and a James....but the one I was remembering was actually Dana Stewart. I saw his work at Grounds for Sculpture in New jersey.
    So...I guess I am confused! LOL!

• colleenoz
    14 years ago

Not fishy: "Only actual bids (not automatic bids generated up to a bidder's maximum) are shown.". So, assuming both bidders have recognised this piece as valuable, if bidder 1 had revised his original maximum bid after the first round and put as his/her maximum bid "$11,175" (always better to pick an odd amount so other bidders won't pick it as well) and bidder 2 had chosen, say, "$11,100" using the same principle, then the bid history wouldn't show the incremental back and forth all the way up to the "$11,175" beating out the "$11,100" bid, it would merely show the final winner of that particular round. Then, if bidder 2 didn't up his/her bid by enough and time ran out...

• beck1
    14 years ago

Yes, but when you look at the automatic bids nothing is there!

• antiquesilver
    14 years ago

I don't see anything fishy in the least - just 2 knowledgeable bidders who wanted the statue, knew the value, & cut to the chase about bidding on it. The losing bidder placed his bid 4 days before the auction ended; maybe he was going out of town or whatever & wouldn't be around at closing time to bid so he bid his maximum. The winning bidder didn't know what the other bidder's high amount was so he bid his maximum - & it happened to be more than the losing bidder's. There was no reserve.

I bet the Seller did the Happy Dance when the auction ended!

• lindac
    14 years ago

Yeah....I just checked the dates, you are correct. Think of all the time, though that the loser thought he had the bid for $155!
    I still want to know just what it is! And wonder what the seller paid for the piece!!
    Linda C

• mahatmacat1
    Original Author
    14 years ago

That's what I thought, you all -- that it was a clever outbid and the person who had the high bid didn't, for whatever reason, check back at the last minute...

• mahatmacat1
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Meant to add an OH YEAH to antiquesilver's bet :)

• lazy_gardens
    14 years ago

It was "sniped": the winning bidder was using software to pile in at the last few seconds with his maximum bid.

Auction end was at 18:00:00 and he landed with 57 seconds to go.

US $11,175.00 Jun-14-09 17:59:03 PDT

• mahatmacat1
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Well, as a person who generally bids within the last 10 seconds of any auction (personally, not with any automated service), I think 57 seconds is *most* sporting. The other bidder would have had more than enough time to counter-bid if s/he had been watching at all...

And again, WOW.

• caroles_jungle
    14 years ago

WOW... I can dream of a lucky find. Must have been a bidding error. Check it out... relisted.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&_rdc=1&item=180375927345&viewitem=&salenotsupported

• i_dig_it
    14 years ago

Hmmm.... How can two bidders make the same bidding error???

Will be interesting to see how this one ends.

Janet

• darenka
    14 years ago

OK, I admit I just surf around on this forum from time to time because I like antiques, but really know nothing about them. So what was this action all about. How much should that piece gone for? I admit, I thought it was stunning, but waaay out of my price range for prettiness. Can someone educate the village idiot?

• lindac
    14 years ago

The problem is...it seems no one can educate the "villiage idiot"...because it seems we are all idiots as far as this auction is concerned.
    Thinking more and more that my original statement of "fishy" was correct...
    You don't suppose the one who had the winning $11,000.plus bid was really the sellers cousin???
    Nah!!
    Linda C

• Chemocurl zn5b/6a Indiana
    14 years ago

It was "sniped": the winning bidder was using software to pile in at the last few seconds with his maximum bid.

Auction end was at 18:00:00 and he landed with 57 seconds to go.

US $11,175.00 Jun-14-09 17:59:03 PDT
    No, it wasn't sniped. The winning bid was placed on June 10th, 4 days before it closed. What is strange though too, is that the high bid is $100 above the next lowest bid, yet other bids were made in smaller increments.

all bids on the closed auction

It is up for sale again. See link below.

Here is a link that might be useful: POLAR BEAR Family CERAMIC Art Pottery SCULPTURE~Signed

• mahatmacat1
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Just crazy. Wonder if we'll ever figure out the real story.