Return to the Antiques & Collectibles Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Beautiful porcelain items but unknown

Posted by Knvsmom2 (My Page) on
Fri, Jun 21, 13 at 14:44

I have 5 pieces of porcelain(?) made items that are each signed McDuff, yet I am unable to find anything on the said artist.
There are 2 trinket boxes, some type of small wall plaque, and and 2 ring holders maybe? Each is smooth white porcelain or some type of white glass but the sides and tops of the items are glazed and various floral designs grace each piece. It doesn't look like these pieces were done by some amateur artist, but I can find nothing on this McDuff person who signed each piece on front. Only one of the small ring holders has any kind of other markings. There is D-54-w on the bottom of it.
Any help of information would be appreciated. Thank you.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Beautiful porcelain items but unknown

China painting was a popular hobby or home business in the late 1800s and early 1900s. They bought the blanks and patterns, painted them, and shipped them back to be fired. If the patterns were transferred with carbon paper or graphite, it burned off in firing and you see no hint of the help the artist had.

I have several pieces painted by various aunts, and they were good painters.

o

China painting was very popular in Ca. about 15-20 ys ago. I bought a piece to put in a bathroom, Has gold around edges & lady signed it, Very similar to your design with the pink flowers. They were popular at local boutiques for Christmas , Mother's Day gifts etc. One artist would have any number of items that she had painted & fired, they were signed, mine says Jenson. I paid about $10 for my little dish with handle that looks cute in bathroom. Could put rings or watch on it.

o

The pink flowers on green looks like many of the plates and other items that my grandmother painted in the early 1960's. She had her own kiln.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Antiques & Collectibles Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here