Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kelley765_gw

Vintage German Chandelier - Any information

kelley765
13 years ago

I got this a while back with the intention of painting it, but as I was cleaning it I thought maybe it has some value and I should leave it as is. I haven't been able to find anything similar online to compare it with. Does anyone have any information? Thanks in advance for your help.

Comments (14)

• lindac
    13 years ago

It's great!! I would check to see if it holds a magnet....and if it doesn't I would take it all apart....polish itwell and find a place to hang it!!
    If it holds a magnet...I might consider painting....but I think it looks best brass.
    Linda C

• mahatmacat1
    13 years ago

Oh my goodness. I'd love to hear the story of how you acquired it.

I could send a pic of it to someone I know who is a vintage lighting expert, if you like...her area is more Scandinavian modern, but maybe she'd know something?

• lindac
    13 years ago

The more I look at the pictures, the more it think it is solid brass....and just the lacquer is pitting...
    I don't think you should paint it!!
    Linda

• weed30 St. Louis
    13 years ago

OMG, PLEASE don't paint it! It's a fabulous Mid Century Modern piece!

Take it to someone that can refurbish it. If it is too expensive, please sell it to ME :) :) :)

• mahatmacat1
    13 years ago

Hey, weed, I replied before you did! :) (granted, I didn't say sell it to me, but I would have if I'd dared. Now that you have, I don't feel any more compunction about doing it LOL)

• kelley765
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks for helping me. I have learned that this piece is by Lobmyer of Germany, sometimes credited to Gaetano Sciolari and seems to be quite valuable.
    I got it in a consignment store at a very nice price. My question is answered and I will not be painting it.

• sweeby
    13 years ago

Cool! Isn't it fun when you find out a piece you think is neat is actually valuable?

• lazy_gardens
    13 years ago

Try "Lobel" and "Gaetano Sciolari"

There are quite a few chandeliers with that style crystal in them

This one: http://www.1stdibs.com/furniture_item_detail.php?id=389577 Look at the closeups of the crystals and the brass circles. Very similar.

Go over the piece with a magnifying class looking for a maker's mark.

• mahatmacat1
    13 years ago

Oh, please, just please share with us how much you paid. This is the antiques forum--we love that kind of info :)

I'll share something: I paid $10 for a large A/P serigraph by a very prominent contemporary artist, worth thousands (probably less now because of its compromised provenance) at a thrift store.

• bostonpat_gw
    13 years ago

The label says "Made in Germany" doesn't that mean pre WWII ?

Cool chandelier!

• sweeby
    13 years ago

Good point, Bostonpat...

• lazy_gardens
    13 years ago

BostonPat ... no, that only means it was made in Germany.

The style is definitely not pre-WWII.

• sweeby
    13 years ago

I believe what BostonPat was saying was that if the piece were made after WWII but before the reunification of Germany, it would say 'Made in West Germany' as was the custom at the time...

I do agree that they style looks much more 1960's - 1970's to me, but then, if I didn't know better, I'd have thought Bauhaus was much newer also...

• jen2006
    13 years ago

wow, so cool! And there are many many people into that mid century style that would love to have it, it would be awesome with that danish style or 50's look. But, it would work any with any decor after that as well, up to today! Even better tht you got it at such a great price. I love that feeling, when you find something awesome for a steal! It doesn't happen as much today, vintage is now the "in" thing and sellers are much more knowledgable. With computers, it is so easy to find out what you have.