Return to the Antiques & Collectibles Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Helpf with CL table

Posted by nosoccermom (My Page) on
Wed, Jun 12, 13 at 13:43

What do you think? How old? Is it really solid or veneer?

Here is a link that might be useful: CL table

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Helpf with CL table

My guess would be solidly built, but veneer, at least on top. If you go to see it, look underneath. Lol, I sound like my dad--I know you'll do that, but I have to remind you anyway. ;)

If you want to check it out before investing time in a trip, ask if they will email pics of underside. I couldn't find pics of a table with that exact leg configuration, doing a google search--no ideas on age or value.

o

So, you don't think that the parquet could be solid? How would the underside look like if it's veneer vs hardwood?

o

Parquet pattern would be apparent? Unless solid parquet pieces were laid on a backer board of some kind for support--which makes more sense now that I think about it.

I googled 'how to make a parquet table', and found a q/a, which answers my question. :[

Edited to add: I have several cutting boards that are made of smaller solid pieces glued together, but in large format such as a table, I suppose that would be unstable.

Here is a link that might be useful: WoodNet forum

This post was edited by mama_goose on Wed, Jun 12, 13 at 18:09

o

I think parquet has to be a veneer, but it can be a really thick veneer. Sort of how hardwood flooring is veneered onto a subfloor.

This table looks like it has solid wood along the edges, which is really veneer's main weakness. And the top looks pretty good. The legs look solid and have a 1920s-30s vibe. I don't think the veneer would give you any trouble, and since it's a tiny bit "antiqued" (it's miles from "distressed"), a little ding here and there won't diminish it. I bet that table wears like a tank.

If the size and look is right, I would totally check that thing out. Good table (or it photographs like one) !

Looks like it's in an antique shop (due to the extra staged junk in the photos) so it won't be awkward.

o

Its Century Furniture and Century is a post-war company so this table is vintage, at best. Probably 1960s- early 1980s.

The top is most likely veneer, but so is the top of most dining tables of this sort so that's not a big deal. The top doesn't look like it is pristine condition, I would probably want it refinished which increases the price for the finished piece dramatically.

If you like it just as is it's probably a good price: Century is decent furniture. If you don't like it just as is and had it refinished you would have a good table but not a bargain table.

o

Thanks for everybody's feedback. It can't be taken apart, so I'm not sure how to transport it. I'm sure they'd accept a lower offer, but I'm not in love, so will pass.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Antiques & Collectibles Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here