Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
theclose

Antique tray - fair retail price?

theclose
12 years ago

Hello,

I have identified the maker of a tray but I would like to know a fair market retail value. We love it and want to purchase it but I don't want to pay too much. It is a electroplated silver gallery tray. Maker is Oliver & Bower Ltd., Sheffield. It says EP over two initials I can't make out, possibly ON C (which I assume would be on copper ), or ON G.

The dealer said it is early 1930's, but they are an interior design firm with a retail location and they don't know much about silver. That being said, they are also in an upscale area and charge a premium for that. So, I understand I will pay more than I would on ebay or in a smaller city, but I would still like to get a fair price. Any info you would like to share or thoughts on price? I will attach pictures. The dimensions are 24"x12" with bun feet.

{{gwi:1384363}}

{{gwi:1384365}}

{{gwi:1384367}}

Thank you in advance!!

Maggie

Comments (21)

• lindac
    12 years ago

Holy cow! That's beautiful!! I can't say without some research....but I would expect to pay a lot...in the neighborhood of $400 to $500. It looks pristine....perhaps it's been resilvered.
    Linda C

• antiquesilver
    12 years ago

That tray is drop-dead gorgeous - I've never seen one kidney shaped (so 1930's) AND it's plated over copper. With those attributes, I'm glad I don't know where it is or it might need to come home with me!

I wouldn't pay over $100-$125 but I'm cheap & after all, it is plated. And it's not huge which can drive up the price on ordinary trays. An interior design store or an upscale antique shop will probably ask more but I'd bargain for all I was worth. How much are they asking?

• theclose
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Wow, both of your quotes are A LOT less than what they are asking. We love this tray and really, really want it but now I don't know what to do.

antiquesilver, I have never seen one like this either and that is one of the reasons we love it so much. But they are asking 10x what you would pay!!!

LindaC, I wish it were $400-500. I would get it in a heartbeat.

Ugh. To give you a bit of background, they told me it was sterling and when I did my research and told them it wasn't, they were apologetic (saying their dealer mislabeled it) and offered to cut the price in half. So they still want $1k. I gather from both of you that this really isn't worth a price so high and I would be crazy to pay that. Maybe I should just offer $500 and walk if they don't? AHHHHHHHHHH!!!!

Thank you both so very much for your help!

Maggie

• lindac
    12 years ago

500 is good and plenty.....if they don't sell it to you.....who will they sell it to....for their asking price....unless some dummy doesn't know what EP means.
    But.....where have you ever seen a kidney shaped perfect 2 foot long, silver gallery tray??
    Offer $500.....and when they say no....turn and walk away. Remind them that it isn't even "old sheffield"...it's just electroplated stuff....and that it looks like it's been replated which seriously affects the antique value ( but not the decorative value...but don't mention that!).\
    Then mention that you have been in contact with a dealer in Sussex who has a lovely old Sheffield tray that is just a bit larger, but it is just a little more expensive....but then it is Old Sheffield, not electroplate. There is a dealer on the web who has a lovely old sheffield gallery tray for just over 500 pounds....making it in the neighborhood of 750 USD...bit more.
    She's charging for her location....and all you want is the tray!!

• theclose
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks, Linda!! I better do this before my husband gets home. He will want to keep it no matter what!! I will give them a call and see what we can do.

So, where is this other tray you mention?? : ) Or is that just my ruse?

Maggie

• theclose
    Original Author
    12 years ago

That is really beautiful! I know, there are so many gorgeous trays out there that I shouldn't settle. But I really like the one I asked about. I offered $500. We shall see. I will definitely let you know how it turns out.

Wish me luck!!

Maggie

• sam_md
    12 years ago

pictured is my 9" repousse tray conveniently dated 1909 under the initials. This sterling tray was made by Jenkions & Jenkins of Baltimore. I gave about $500 for it. Consider the incredible amount of workmanship put into this by the silversmith. I agree with antiquesilver's estimate since your tray is plated.
    Now mamorella, help me with my photography, my camera is on full auto, how can i improve focus in my pics?
    Sam

• lindac
    12 years ago

Well I can show you my 1920's Tiffany, Sterling 14 inch Chippendale tray that I paid $22 for....but those things are not the norm.
    As for the camera....take it off of auto and read the instruction book.
    Linda C

• lindac
    12 years ago

Well I can show you my 1920's Tiffany, Sterling 14 inch Chippendale tray that I paid $22 for....but those things are not the norm.
    As for the camera....take it off of auto and read the instruction book.
    Linda C

• theclose
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Well, they wouldn't take $500 as they said it is valuable and they paid quite a bit more for it. So they aren't budging from the $1k. Oh well. We definitely aren't going to pay that. Truthfully, we would have met them in the middle at $750 just because we love it and it is unique. But for $1k I would feel we are being taken advantage of.

I really do appreciate all your help! One day I hope to find a tray that we love as much. So, if you ever come across a gallery tray that you think I might like, let me know!!

And Sam, your camera is focusing on one part of the plate. Aperture is too low. But as Linda said, you need to take it off auto and learn how to adjust your settings.

Maggie

• antiquesilver
    12 years ago

If they didn't know the difference between sterling & electroplate, I bet they did pay WAY too much! But being able to sell it in that price range is entirely different unless they find a sucker who is equally foolish.

I'd check back periodically to see if it's still there. At some point, they may want to cut their losses if they want to stay in business.

• antiquesilver
    12 years ago

Below is an ongoing ebay auction for a SP over Copper gallery tray, made in Sheffield. It's not as large or as uniquely shaped as the one we both love, but I suspect when the auction is over, it will make you feel a lot better about not spending a $1000 for electroplate.

Here is a link that might be useful: Another gallery tray

• lindac
    12 years ago

Beautiful tray....I would bid on it...in fact I did just to keep me informed....but obviously the first bidder's opening bid was higher than my little stab.
    I wonder what else is in that shop that they don't know about? When I see an item so rediculously overpriced I realize they don't know a lot about a lot of things and look closely. Have found many "silverplate" things with simply a maker's mark or 925...or once even the British hallmarks....whole set of marks!

• antiquesilver
    12 years ago

Linda, after I posted the link, I did a completed ebay search & found a similar tray by the same seller (who, BTW, always has really nice silver holloware) that sold for $350ish. I'll be interested to see how much this one goes for. To my mind, that's an obscene amount to pay for electroplate but beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

• antiquesilver
    12 years ago

Maggie, maybe this is to your liking although the price is more than the one you found.

Here is a link that might be useful: Kidney shaped tray

• theclose
    Original Author
    12 years ago

That is funny - that tray antiquesilver linked to is on my watch list! I am keeping an eye on it.

As for the shop, it is mainly an interior design shop with a small retail portion. Mostly furniture. This was one of a few silver pieces. I am going to keep checking back but they hold on to things for years on end so I can't imagine them selling at a loss unless they have a sale, which they rarely do.

Thanks again for all the insight!!

Maggie

• theclose
    Original Author
    12 years ago

That is beautiful! But we definitely want a gallery style tray as this is being used on a sideboard for a bar set up. Thanks for thinking of me though!

• lindac
    12 years ago

I hope that high bid on the sliver gallery tray is your bid mamorella!
    Waiting for you to post "Got it!"....then show it to the shop owners of that horribly over priced tray.
    Linda C

• theclose
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Ha! It isn't and I didn't. My husband didn't like it as much so I didn't even bother bidding. When I went back to the shop, I found out that they basically paid too much and now are trying to deal with the antique dealer they got it from to get money back. I did tell them we are still interested and if they want to sell it for a fair price to contact me. In the meanwhile, I will be keeping my eyes open on ebay and other places!

• InlandVintage
    12 years ago

Walk away from the tray. If they are asking ten times that amount they must think they are selling some rare "Sterling" or something.

Take care,
    Chris

Here is a link that might be useful: www.InlandVintage.com