Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mahatmacat1

Silver folk -- here are some auctions for you

mahatmacat1
13 years ago

My goodness...I was taken to this person's listings by the studio pottery, but then I saw all the rest of it and thought of the silver collectors on the board. I'd be very interested in your thoughts about the various items and the prices they're going for. To see such solid bidding on virtually every single piece someone's got up is really extraordinary--these must be very special pieces. I imagine the confirmed provenance counts for something as well. Which pieces strike you as most interesting?

Here is a link that might be useful: pages and pages of auctions from one estate

Comments (11)

• antiquesilver
    13 years ago

This seller has a great reputation for fine silver - I'd have to go over it more to decide which is the most interesting. I'm not overly fond of Dutch pieces so I'd probably eliminate those first.

• lindac
    13 years ago

The repousse tea set...and those Irish spoons are Waaaaaay under the money...
    I have bids on several things.....
    Thanks...I guess! LOL! I don't NEED anything at all!!!!
    And the art work...paintings....such bargains...unless the bidding picks up!
    Linda C

• antiquesilver
    13 years ago

You know how the bidding always shoots up in the last minute, LOL. It seems like the people with deep pockets don't bother with it until then.

• lindac
    13 years ago

S'OK...I have already been out bid on one item....

• mahatmacat1
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I love the line "This is the most exceptional cow painting I've ever sold." :)

linda, do you mean the set below? What is a ballpark for how much that should go for? I'm seeing high quality (the artist is a major name in the history of studio pottery, exc. example of her/his work) studio pottery going for about maybe 1/2 - 2/3 of what it was going for in 2007. Is it the same in high quality silver pieces? The second tier is going for more like 1/2. Much lesser work that would at least have found buyers out of interest in the design is going completely unbought. Flight to quality, I guess.

Here is a link that might be useful: repousse tea set

• lindac
    13 years ago

With a set like that....pretty well the sky's the limit....ro was that set 800? I forget...in which case the intrinsic value is not as great but the artistry amazing!
    I thought the cow picture was a real sleeper....until I started bidding....and there is 9 days left!! "back off Linda...don't mortgage the farm!"

• mahatmacat1
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Oh well, Linda, maybe you can go for the painting of the dentist whose eyes follow you. You can rest assured I won't be bidding on it :)

I'm trying not to fall in love with the Hudson River School pieces...

• sweeby
    13 years ago

"I'm trying not to fall in love with the Hudson River School pieces..."

Rats! Me too. Bet they won't stay cheap...

• mahatmacat1
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Have you bid, sweeby? I haven't. They're slowly moving away from me...

• sweeby
    13 years ago

I'm watching. But I don't know enough about painting to know if it's a 'steal' investment-wise, and without seeing it in person, I can't really feel confident in the 'fall in love' aspect that I normally use when buying art. But they are do look lovely...

• karinl
    13 years ago

Man, I'd follow that studio pottery almost anywhere too... well, maybe not into the prices it's fetching/fetched. But almost anywhere else!

KarinL