Return to the Antiques & Collectibles Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Vintage Print ID

Posted by artnewb (My Page) on
Sun, Jun 24, 12 at 13:31

Can anyone help with some more info on the picture? I was wondering what those chinese characters mean?

A few more close ups..........

http://s200.photobucket.com/albums/aa279/sholmes20/?action=view¤t=ch002.jpg

http://i200.photobucket.com/albums/aa279/sholmes20/ch003.jpg

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Vintage Print ID

Photobucket

Photobucket

o

It's not Chinese, it's Japanese. I do not read Kanji, in which most of the calligraphy is written, and it's characters are shared (albeit not always with the same meanings) with Chinese, but the writing in the lower right bottom corner has one line in white, which is written in hiragana, which I do read. It says Uchida. Uchida is an art company in Japan who releases wood block prints. This has some modest value. Look up Uchida on ebay and see some similar items.

o

I have it nailed. I was browsing the Uchida art sight, and here is your picture. The original was designed by Gizan Izuno. The calligraphy translated says "fishing alone, cold freezing river" I've enclosed a link below so you can see where I found it. Similar prints by Izuno were selling for about $125 if directly ordered from Uchida.

Here is a link that might be useful: Uchida Art

o

Thank you calliope, your assistance is appreciated!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Antiques & Collectibles Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here