Return to the Antiques & Collectibles Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Flatware/silverware ???'s

Posted by nosnowtn (My Page) on
Sun, Jun 12, 11 at 12:46

Long time lurker, first time poster to this forum. I know several of you are knowledgeable about silver.

This is a set of six adult place settings and one child's place setting, knife and fork only, no spoons. They are marked "International L F & C."

These came from my great grandparent's estate from around 1860-???. We inherited them from a great aunt who was born in 1890 and died a spinster.

The blades and tines do not clean up well like silver, but the handles are made of a dark hardwood i.e. walnut, cherry or something else. No grain is visible. The metaling throughout the handle almost appears to be coin or german silver.

Any information as to age or value would be appreciated. Due to space constraints, I am going to sell these on ebay,
so any info would be greatly appreciated.

Also, it's my first time posting pictures, so please bear with me. I can provide some better closeups of the handles if neccesary.

TIA,
Joan

Photobucket

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Flatware/silverware ???'s

Landers, Frary, & Clark made cuttlery sets with stag horn, pearl handles, maybe ebony also which is what yours appear to be. see link

Here is a link that might be useful: L, F, & C

o
RE: Flatware/silverware ???'s

Thanks for your input sam. I had already found out that much info in my research.
I also found that L. F. & C made some beautiful filigree silver handles that look quite expensive.

Unfortunately, mine are not. They do have the appearance of ebony, but I was doubtful that my quaint ancestors could have afforded that luxury. However, when we cleaned out my spinster aunt's house in the 1970's my grandmother informed me that many of the gorgeous cut glass bowls were a premium from Maxwell house coffee, just like they used to put a glass inside a box of Duz detergent in the 1960's. I am 52 years old and I still remember that.

Thanks for your help, but I'm still looking for a pattern name, date and a value. Also, why no spoons? I'm wondering if this was also a premium offered, so they could bait you in to buy the spoons. I also think it's rare that there is a child's place setting.

Let me know if anyone want more closeup pictures.
Thanks,
Joan

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Antiques & Collectibles Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here