Return to the Antiques & Collectibles Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Nana's 'Treasures' (Take 2)

Posted by suzieque (My Page) on
Fri, Jun 3, 11 at 10:44

(I hope this one works - yes, I'm following the directions as posted, but the HTML link on the album doesn't seem to work from here. When I paste in the link shown on the album as HTML link, GW rejects it saying it's not a valid url. Grrrr. Now I'll just try with the http url, which most likely isn't right. Sorry if this is as annoying to you as it is to me! Trying again.)

Hi - I've learned a lot from this forum; thank you! I have some dishes and other items that my grandmother made clear she wanted me to have. She was not a wealthy woman by any means (had government assistance for awhile, as well), so I do not expect these to be worth anything. But I'd like to get an idea of just what I've got. I've started with photos of a few things.
I'm sorry that I've not been able to get a clear picture of the backs/marks. The small brown/green pitcher is kind of a ceramic/pottery, I think. There is a stamp (not painted; it's right in the pottery) on the back that says 'England', and then scratched in with a pencil or something (again, right in the pottery) are the numbers 595.7.1. I think this is adorable.

The Asian pieces are part of a large set; I don't know if it's a full set or not. The ink stamp on the back is a swan with a 'ribbon' underneath, and the name 'PEKIN' inside the ribbon. Under the ribbon are the initials 'J.B'. There is aslo a num ber painted in orange.

The litle saucer and cup (it's not a drinking cup - it's a flat bottome almost custard-type dish) say Imperial Crown china, Austria' on the back. They're very cute; unfortunately, some of the cups have chips.

Can anyone tell me anything from you wide bank of knowledge? Many thanks -

Suzieque

Here is a link that might be useful: Album

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Nana's 'Treasures' (Take 2)

I don't know about the pitcher...obviously English if it says that on the back....really do wish there were pictures of the backstamps....it helps a lot!
The "Asian set" is English as well.... late 19th century. the little square dish is not the same as the plate and lots earlier.
The little Austrian cup and plate is for dessert or pudding. Also darling, and appears to be china/porcelain.
Linda c

o

Thanks, Linda. I'll try to get pics of the backstamps. Hmmmm....yes, I'm not surprised that I mixed the "Asian set"; there are so many. The little square dish isn't actually that. It's a "bowl" of sorts, and about 8"x8". The bottom, shown, is smaller than the dimensions of the whole piece. Yes, I love the Austrian cup and plate, too. I'm sorry that some are chipped.

By the way, I'm intending to start using these items, not sell them or keep them buried away wrapped in newspaper. I have great memories of my grandmother, who lived with us from when I was 6 years old. I'll be posting some more items tomorrow, and will try to get better pics of the backs.

Suzieque

o

Taht square dish probably had a lid at one time.
Anxiously awaiting more treasures from Nana.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Antiques & Collectibles Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here