Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
quiltndeb

China closet

QuiltnDeb
10 years ago

Cleaning out a house for estate sale and have no idea age, description, value of china closet. Can anyone help? Have searched images and cannot find one close to this.

Comments (14)

• texasredhead
    10 years ago

It is an extrodinary piece. As best as I can tell it appears to be chip-n-dale. It is hard to determine the wood but based on the color it could be mahogany or walnut. My guess is that it is early 20th century maybe 1920 or so. I have seen pieces similar in antique stores in Texas, in the $3,000+range.

• lazy_gardens
    10 years ago

I disagree with Texasredhead ... if he or she cannot spell Chippendale it's unlikely they can identify antiques.

It's a nice piece, probably 1930s or 1940s, but far from $3,000. $300 is more like it.

I can't tell what the wood is - can you take a well-lit closeup of it?

• QuiltnDeb
    Original Author
    10 years ago

top of china closet

• QuiltnDeb
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Closer image of front. These are best I have on hand now. Will try to take better ones with more light tomorrow. Thank you for your help.

• lazy_gardens
    10 years ago

My guess is that it's walnut.

Oak has obvious holes in the grain.

• Stocky
    10 years ago

My 2cents . It's a pretty basic china cabinet . Not close to $3K . $300 is more like it as Lazy said .
    It's either Walnut or a generic white wood like Poplar ( I'd say Poplar ) . Also the lattice ( the wood cut outs ) behind the glass are supposed to be on the outside , not the inside .

• QuiltnDeb
    Original Author
    10 years ago

More photo's.....

• QuiltnDeb
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Lock

• QuiltnDeb
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Foot with roller. Also I noticed today that the glass is wavy and lot no 886 stamped on the back.

• texasredhead
    10 years ago

The more I look at the pictures, it appears the Chippendale design is etched into the glass. As for those who wonder about my gender, I am a man with a mane of red hair.

• rafor
    10 years ago

I bought one like it for $60 at an auction. It didn't have the design on the glass doors, but otherwise was the same.

• egbar
    10 years ago

mock Chippendale was everywhere in the 1950's when I was growing up. Most I remember was poplar or similar soft woods stained dark. My grandparents had a desk and a cabinet with this sort of stain and feet. Don't know the era it was made (40's maybe?) I came along in the early 50's and remember most of the neighbors had some, as well as both sets of grandparents. I still see a lot of it as used furniture but a lot of it has been repainted for the shabby chic decorating craze. the thing I like about the ones I have seen is that they tend to be small scale, and are very useful for smaller rooms; like this useful piece, they are mostly functional in design. none is very expensive, these were mass produced pieces for the booming population of middle class people.

• egbar
    10 years ago

mock Chippendale was everywhere in the 1950's when I was growing up. Most I remember was poplar or similar soft woods stained dark. My grandparents had a desk and a cabinet with this sort of stain and feet. Don't know the era it was made (40's maybe?) I came along in the early 50's and remember most of the neighbors had some, as well as both sets of grandparents. I still see a lot of it as used furniture but a lot of it has been repainted for the shabby chic decorating craze. the thing I like about the ones I have seen is that they tend to be small scale, and are very useful for smaller rooms; like this useful piece, they are mostly functional in design. none is very expensive, these were mass produced pieces for the booming population of middle class people.

• Stocky
    10 years ago

It's Walnut .... based on the close up pix with the key in the lock .