Return to the Antiques & Collectibles Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
selling crystal

Posted by monablair (My Page) on
Thu, Jun 3, 10 at 9:10

My mother was an avid collector of antique crystal pieces. I am not. And now I'm the owner of her collection. The pieces are flawless, signed and gorgeous. I have pitchers, large bowls, sugar/creamers.

We're starting to downsize and this collection is one of the things we will be selling. The question is, "How would I find a buyer willing to pay a fair price?"

These are samples of some of the pieces I have.

http://www.rubylane.com/item/385047-1424/Ex78ceptional-Large-ABP-Cut-Glass

http://www.rubylane.com/ni/iteml/385047-1405#pic1

http://www.rubylane.com/item/554639-710/Magnificent-Signed-x22Hawkesx22-Lead-Crystal

Here is a link that might be useful: crystal bowl

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: selling crystal

Define 'fair price'. Often people unfamiliar with buying and selling collectibles think that these things are worth a fixed amount. They're not. Most collectors won't buy with the intention of keeping objects forever, they'll be looking to make their own profit. Dealers who have overhead must cover that and they're entitled to a profit too. You'll wind up selling for a lower price to dealers than to collectors, since collectors don't have overhead costs to factor in to resale prices. You've linked to Ruby Lane for examples, why not sit tight for a bit and see how long it takes to sell those items at the prices asked? You can follow similar objects on ebay too. If you have a decent auction saleroom through which you've had a good relationship you can try to consign the glass there. Auctions can be very exciting if their advertising draws the collectors you want.

Over the past ten or fifteen years, cut glass hasn't enjoyed much popularity but I have seen a few spectacular pieces bring very good prices recently. I expect that interest in excellent cut glass is rising again. I don't understand why it waned at all, ABP cut is about the handsomest stuff ever.

o

I agree....but the trick will be finding the right auction house.
Lovely stuff!! And some day it's price will rise again....no one czn afford to put that much hand work into things these days.

o

Mona, you and I are in the same boat. I, too, have my mother's collection. I've been using several of the pieces, but I didn't realize they were worth THAT much!

I've also started wearing my grandmother's Gotham diamond and white gold wrist watch from the 1920s and my mom's yellow gold and diamond Bulova engraved in 1941. They keep perfect time.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Antiques & Collectibles Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here