Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
javaandjazz

Can anyone(aka Linda) tell me what this picture is all about?

Richard Dollard
12 years ago

We picked this up at an estate sale several years ago and just going to hang it now. I took it out of the frame last night to clean it up and have a new backer board put on. My thoughts are maybe it is Queen Victoria in the center and it's victorian but not sure. It's not signed expcept for the number 40 in the lower right oorner. Thanks, Richie

Comments (12)

• palimpsest
    12 years ago

The style is older, 18th-early 19th c. and is an arabesque patterned "decor" or "panneux". The central figure and other elements are probably allegorical. Don't know how old it really is or if it is hand-tinted, things like that.

• sombreuil_mongrel
    12 years ago

Would not the Queen have been depicted with orb and sceptre?
    Could it be part of a set of goddesses, muses, or seasons?
    Maybe the pig, swan and fountain are significant. And the thing at the top that looks like a webcam!!!
    (I know, it's an urn tipped toward the viewer)
    Casey

• lindac
    12 years ago

What Pal said...allegorical, but for what I don't know. Perhaps something like "home" or "love" or "fertility"...
    I see lots of classical figures....the fountain on the dolphin tails, seated woman ( perhaps the Madonna?) with draped blue gown, birds holding a garland etc.
    Victoria would never be depicted in any sort of dishabille....classical drapery or not...My God....that's a LEG showing!!!! Never!! LOL!
    Likely a hand colored litho but can't tell without a closer look. What did the back look like? Paper?
    Linda C

• Richard Dollard
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Funny me for thinking Victoria might show some leg. I wonder if her husband ever saw any...LOL. Nothing on the back, it's adhered to the old cardboard. The whole point of me taking it all apart and cleaning it is also to get that old cardboard off. Luckily there is no foxing yet. Thanks everyone!

• Richard Dollard
    Original Author
    12 years ago

what do you think are the things hanging after the bull?

• sombreuil_mongrel
    12 years ago

I think they are, roughly, torches; they look like newel posts!
    Casey

• jemdandy
    12 years ago

It is filled with decorative details. At the top, there are blue birds of happiness; A little cherub is about to fly into her face or adjust her gown. It could be an illustration based on Greek Mythology. The goose/swan on the water of the fountain suggests a formal garden scene.

• Fori
    12 years ago

I think she represents spring.

Although she looks a little like a prissy version of Lippi's music lady--any of those weird objects look musicy?:

Here is a link that might be useful: http://www.lib-art.com/part/showimg.php?id=12945

• lindac
    12 years ago

There's the lyre on the obligatory stag's head....pan pipes and another sort of a tooter.....and of course cherubs preparing for a ride on the swan.
    Fillipino Lippi's known as the painter of ugly feet!....and starched drapery!

• sombreuil_mongrel
    12 years ago

Methinks you mean Fra (as in brother, he was a monastic) Filippo Lippi AKA "Lippo" Lippi. I think he gave a lot of "lip".
    Casey

• Richard Dollard
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I think I said spring too here at home. Thanks!

• lindac
    12 years ago

No...I meant Fillipino Lippi....son of Fra Filippo Lippi....monastic or not....and his mother was a nun....they say.