Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
cab3014

Lane Chest

cab3014
14 years ago

Sorry for the re-post, but I'm trying to figure out how to add pictures that are the correct size.

I have this cedar chest that has elaborately carved war scenes and am curious as to what the age might be , as well as what war might be depicted. It is at least 60 years old and belonged to my mother. Thanks for any information or ideas.

Comments (7)

• lindac
    14 years ago

Are you sure it's a Lane? A lane will have a serial number and a style number and from that you can find the date.
    Google Lane Cedar chest.
    I am sure that the scene is no particular battle....just a scene carved in the chest.
    Linda c

• sunnyca_gw
    14 years ago

The scene is probably mythical as that is a lion on top of that man at center bottom of that panel, in early Roman times(1st century)they did use lions to fight in an arena or amphitheater, gladiator vs gladiator-gladiator vs lion, I can't imagine using a lion in war as they would probably kill their handler before they killed the enemy.

• cab3014
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks for all comments. Lindac , it does have Lane imprinted inside the chest but I can't remember seeing a number. I'll get my bearings later and look inside for a number and contact Lane if I locate one.

• thechestaficionado
    11 years ago

This is really a beautiful chest i saw one very similar to it in an antique shop about 20 years ago and i"m still kicking myself for not buying it but as previously stated it should have the numbers somewhere on the bottom of the chest that will tell you where it came from. Since it is very similar i would say late 30's without knowing the numbers the one i saw was 1937 and very similar. Beautiful chest though congratulations.

• lazy_gardens
    11 years ago

Medieval hunting scene, not war, although why it's a lion being hunted by men in European style clothing with that European style castle in the background is beyond me.

The link goes to a more elaborate version of your chest - from the style it looks like late 1920s. This was the "Jacobean Revival" style, with all kinds of faux medieval details added to almost everything.

Be careful cleaning it, because those "carvings" are frequently cast in a fake wood, not a real wood carving.

Here is a link that might be useful: Similar chest

• anoriginal
    11 years ago

You should go to the Lane site to see if they still offer FREE lock replacements. SEVERAL years back, tragic accident in Philly area where a kid got locked inside one and suffocated. Original locks click when lid comes down and can only be opened from OUTSIDE... until some time in mid-80's I think. At the time I had one from 70's and parent's from maybe 40's. New piece mentioned that Lane would provide FREE replacements. Had to find model/serial number (on bottom or back) and shape of lock (rectangular or round). Filled out a form online and within a week or so got replacement locks. Only needed a screw driver and maybe 5-10 minutes to replace.

• nhb22
    11 years ago

Thank you so much for pointing out this lock defect out. I had never seen this recall. Expecting first grandbaby next May. I gave my 1970's Lane chest to my daughter (the babies aunt) who will be doing a lot of babysitting. I am ordering the FREE replacement locks (yes,they are still available - see link). If you do a Google, there is also a YouTube video with directions on how to change the locks.

Thank you again for possibly saving a life. :)

Here is a link that might be useful: Lane replacement locks