Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
holloway32

i broke my grandmother's punch bowl - please help!!

Holloway32
11 years ago

My maternal grandmother died in 1972, 10 years before I was born. One of the items that she gave my mother, before she died, was her favorite punch bowl. As you can imagine, my mother cherished this bowl. My mom is a very simple, down-to-earth, non-materialistic type person. She doesn't want, nor does she have, alot of 'stuff'. 2 weeks ago, at my 2-year old son's bday party, my wife asked to borrow a punch bowl, never imagining that my mom would let her use my grandmother's bowl. After the party, we loaded up the SUV and placed the bowl in the back floor board to keep it from sliding. I didn't know it was in the floor behind the driver's seat and, when I slid my seat back, it broke into 5 pieces. Needless to say, I was devistated. I told my mom about it and, as much as it upset her, being the great mom that she is, told me 'not to worry about it. It's just a bowl'.

I am going to replace her bowl. I've tried to piece it back together but have gotten no where. Does anyone know of a company/vendor that, if I mailed them the pieces, they could piece it together for me? I do not care if it is usable, I just want her to have it back. If this service doesn't exist, by looking at the attached pics, can anyone tell me the make/model (I know it isn't a car but I have no clue whatelse to call it)? I want to be able to buy her a new one but need to know what to search for.

I am so sorry for the crueling length of this post.

Thanks in advance for any help!!

JSH

Here is a link that might be useful: Pics Of Broken Punch Bowl

Comments (7)

• lindac
    11 years ago

Your pictures are not very good....would like to see all the pieces so we might get an idea of shape....and the first 2 pictures are very dark.
    Google images of pressed glass punch bowls.....see what you find.
    Or contact this place....linked below.

Here is a link that might be useful: glass repair

• nyboy
    11 years ago

I am so sorry, I know the pain of breaking something thats been in the family for years. Your mom is a true lady!! Good luck with the repairs.

• nhb22
    11 years ago

So sorry this has happened to you. I know you must feel awful, but as your mother said, it is just a bowl.

Is this the punch bowl? Looks like this one sold on eBay, but worth a shot to contact the seller and make sure.

Here is a link that might be useful: Pressed glass punch bowl

• patty_cakes
    11 years ago

You must feel so guilty. I'm posting a pic of one from the shopgoodwill.com site, but if it's not it, put the words 'punch bowl' under search and all will come up. You might want to start by visiting local thrift stores in your area.

Here is a link that might be useful: punch bowl

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    11 years ago

If the breaks are clean, you may be able to find someone to fix it. We have a fellow here in Alexandria who is a wizard at repairing old glass pieces. Ask around at antique stores that carry a lot of glass and china pieces. Of course, it won't be usable, but at least it is still your grandmother's bowl. I probably wouldn't replace it with another because it is the sentiment that made it special-unless, of course, she used it frequently. Your mother is a wise woman and your son is lucky to have her as his grandmother!

• Wendy1127
    11 years ago

I just cleaned out my mother in laws storage unit (after she passed) and I have 2 of these bowls with 12 cups. If you haven't found a way to repair or purchased another yet - let me know and we can work something out.

• Wendy1127
    11 years ago

Holloway32 - I've posted some photos of what I have if you are interested. I found one on ebay - 1 bowl, no cups, for $49.99 + shipping. I'll give you both my bowl's PLUS 12 cups for $40 + shipping.

Here is a link that might be useful: Pics of Punch Bowls & Cups

Sponsored
NME Builders LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Industry Leading Kitchen & Bath Remodelers in Franklin County, OH