Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
hzdeleted_19779803

School wall maps

User
9 years ago

I have some old school wall maps; the kind on a roller shade, but I don't have the brackets to hang them. I am debating about making some kind of bracket for them or, since they aren't a really priceless antique, how much would it hurt to take them off the rollers and put them on a wood strip and hang them like huge pictures?

Comments (7)

• lazy_gardens
    9 years ago

I would make brackets - there is an active collectors market for them, and you would lose the nostalgia if they didn't roll down any more.

• mfrog
    9 years ago

Did not know that lazygardens, thank you for the information. Love it when I learn something new. mfrog

• User
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I saw that on eBay they were asking about $100 for some like mine. I collect maps and globes but I use them, too. I want to put some flags on places my ancestors emigrated from and leave 3 of them down all the time. It's a decision between pristine or use them. Since I won't know what happens to them after I die, I was leaning toward use them. I guess I will experiment with making some kind of holder for them....and if all else fails, hang them like pictures. I should have bought all of them.....but how many do I need? I know.......ALL of them!

• justlinda
    9 years ago

Perhaps you could buy a cheap blind, take the plastic blind off the wooden roller and replace it with your map (usually they are only stapled on). The brackets come in the package when you purchase the blind. These blinds often come in various widths.

• User
    Original Author
    9 years ago

They are already on rollers. I don't have the bracket that holds the rollers. They are heavy and I don't know if regular roller shade brackets would hold them. In addition, I don't have anywhere to screw the roller shade brackets anyway. They can't be attached to the wall because there wouldn't be enough clearance for the map to fit in the shade bracket slots.

• arlocat
    9 years ago

Schools still have roller maps so why not check a school supply site for brackets? They haven't changed much.

• jemdandy
    9 years ago

A map store may have the parts you need.