Return to the Antiques & Collectibles Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Chest of drawers: Nouveau, Deco or neither?

Posted by jlc102482 (My Page) on
Tue, May 1, 12 at 22:30

I am about to put this chest of drawers and its matching vanity up on Craigslist. I've had these two pieces for about 12 years but it only just occurred to me that I have no idea what to call them. I always assumed they were from the 1920s, though I don't really have a specific reason for thinking that. The directions of the veneer remind me of a Deco waterfall set, but nothing else really looks Deco to me. The quality is okay, nothing awesome, and the drawers are machine-made dovetails. There are no marks on them other than tags from the furniture shop they came from many years ago. They are on wood casters and the hardware (which appears to be original) is fairly thin pressed metal. The two veneers used are bird's eye maple and the other one is mahogany...I think!

Can anyone help me identify and/or date this dresser so that I know what to call it and its matching vanity? Thanks!

Chest of drawers (sorry, I don't have a photo of the vanity at the moment):

Closeup of hardware:

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Chest of drawers: Nouveau, Deco or neither?

Call it 1930's Jacobean Revival....

o

Thanks, Linda! That one is new to me.

o

It's also of the period of Art Deco but different style.

Here is a link that might be useful: Jacobean revival

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Antiques & Collectibles Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here