Return to the Antiques & Collectibles Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Vintage hanging brass fixture- what is this?

Posted by chinoiserie (My Page) on
Mon, May 4, 09 at 21:54

I am in the process of updating my kitchen and have been on the hunt for light fixtures to hang over the island.

I purchased this large brass hanging chandelier thing on ebay. I was the only bidder, so I didn't pay much for it - can't remember exactly, but maybe $40. My brother in law picked it up for me, so there were no shipping fees :) It is a great fit for my kitchen island and is being polished as we speak. I love it. I'd like to know what it is or how old it is, just out of curiosity. I have searched on the Internet with no luck. I might be calling it the wrong name. Anyone know what this is?

Brass? Chandelier

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Vintage hanging brass fixture- what is this?

It appears to be a decorative hanging lamp fixture. If I've got it right, there are places for 3 bulbs within each shade.

There is a curious rod standing up in the center of each lamp cluster. These rods have a ringed top-edge and ball top. These suggest that you don't have all the pieces. I wonder if these rods supported a shade or reflector. Check out these rods. Do the ball tops unscrew?

o

Yes! They do unscrew to accommodate the shade. The shade is adjustable so that it can sit higher or lower on the brass rod- why, I don't know. In the picture, the shades are sitting quite low (this is the picture from the ebay listing). I would adjust them up, however, if they sat at the top of the brass rod, it would look silly. I don't know why the rod is so high!

o

It appears to be imitating the old gas lights that used to be in peoples homes. The shades were adjustable on them also. I think where you are putting it is quite appropriate and should add the right touch to the decor.

o

I would have said that it looked like a pool or billiard table light....but it looks like it holds 2 chandeliere bulbs?
Is that so? because that would put a limit on the age.

I have a converted gas light in my kitchen....and I grew up with gas light pretty well throughout the house....and never saw one with an adjustable shade.
I am guessing that it's about 40 to 50 years old, solid brass and will look spectacular polished.
Linda C

o

Oy, my gosh, can you imagine how much Rejuvenation would charge for that?! Good work!

o

Fabulous piece, and a STEAL!

Google 'Bouillotte Lamp' and you'll find out all about that style, though most are table lamps. The desing was orginally meant for candles, with the shades designed to raise and lower to shield the eyes from glare.

o

No way! I bought this fixture on Friday for $4.99 and learned via Google that it is also called a bouillotte. I think it is from the 1930s or 1940s, maybe. I guess I must be drawn to that style :) I love it!

I had a hard time taking the picture and holding the lamp, so I cut off the green ceiling cap and chain. Not sure if this works yet- might have to rewire. (Haven't cleaned this up yet, so it's a little grungy, but it is definitely brass)

Photobucket

o

lindac...I've seen a lot of them with adjustable shades.

o

I have a globe shaped brass hanging lamp .It has like a rice paper on the inside ,it seems to be oriental

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Antiques & Collectibles Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here