Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sam_md

How did I do?

sam_md
12 years ago

Sorry for the lousy pic. I got this pine corner cupboard at a New Year's Day auction. It has 16 panes of wavey glass, one of which was broken. The glass is glazed on the inside. Original, functioning locks with key, sandwich knobs. Joinery is through mortised with pegs. It is just under 8' tall. The hammer came down at $750 which included buyer's premium and sales tax. So how did I do? Does that sound about right?

P.S. everyone here can relate, I have the pox BAD, seperate question about silver on another thread.

Sam

Comments (11)

• lindac
    12 years ago

If I'd been there you wouldn't have bought it for $750.

• pamghatten
    12 years ago

That's beautiful!

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    12 years ago

I think it's lovely, too. I have a similar one, but not sure it is pine, that was made by my great-great-great grandfather. Same knobs, doors (can't see your lower doors, but ours has raised panels that have veneer matched wood on them-crotch wood?). It was appraised four years ago for $12,000. I think $750 sounds like a very good price and you are lucky Linda wasn't there-lol!

I will look for the appraisal papers to see if I can add anything. You wouldn't happen to live in southeastern PA would you? It is so simialr, I am curious-who knows, maybe it was made by my relative. How much fun would that be?

• sam_md
    Original Author
    12 years ago

cyn427,
    The panels on the bottom doors are raised on the interior. This was a consignment auction so the CC could have come from anywhere.
    This is my first CC. Man are they dark!!!!
    As you can just make out, there are electric lines on the shelves. The previous owner had the interior lighted, the bulbs are still there. The lines were cut at some point and I guess I will have to replace them. There's not much point in having treasures inside a dark CC if they cannot be seen, right?

• lindac
    12 years ago

No No NO!!! Do not muck up that lovely old cupboard with electric lights or I'll come and take it away from you!!!

• karinl
    12 years ago

What would you do, Linda, paint? The existing turquoise is a lovely shade, though it looks to need cleaning. I think I'd rather light than paint. But if you paint, you might not need to light. I might make one of my collectibles a lovely little lamp and jut make one tiny hole for its wire.

I have a dark cabinet that I just try to put light-coloured things in.

KarinL

• antiquesilver
    12 years ago

Absolutely beautiful cabinet; I'd clean & leave it the way it is. I can't wait to see a closeup of the silver - it looks reallllllly promising!

• lindac
    12 years ago

A cupboard I have was "mustard" when I bought it. I wanted to use it for my Mason's pink Vista...hardly complimenting colors! So I put a glaze of dilute burnt umber on it....very dilute so I could adjust the color....looks fine.
    Antique cupboards are not lit... Fill it with your lovely silver and some white ironstone or Haviland or Meaken Tea leaf or old moss rose....things of the period and it will brighten the interior amazingly.
    Stand some light colored plates against the walls and see what it does....and for heaven's sake take out that awful wiring!
    Then show more pictures of that silver!

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    12 years ago

It almost looks as if yours is a painted cupboard. I have a smaller piece (bedside table) that is painted and looks similar. A lot of the old pine pieces were painted, especially those from Pennsylvania (or at least most that I run across that still have their original paint seem to come from there).

If it isn't dark due to paint, then I would try to clean it. That might lighten it up some for you. I don't feel ours is so dark, but the wood is lighter, so perhaps that makes a difference. It is in a dark corner, but I have some crystal in it and the glass panes reflect light, too.

• InlandVintage
    12 years ago

I think you did well....love the cabinet.

Take care,
    Chris

Here is a link that might be useful: www.InlandVintage.com

• powermuffin
    12 years ago

I love it just the way it is too! Love the blue/aqua with the dark exterior. Nice find!
    Diane