Return to the Antiques & Collectibles Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
2 Vases ~ Engraved with dates 1939 & 1941

Posted by justlinda (My Page) on
Mon, May 2, 11 at 20:26

I bought these 2 vases for $1.49 for a crafting project thinking that they were silverplated. They are 10" tall, and each weighs 7-1/2 ounces. Upon examining them I noted they are marked "International Sterling" with a kind of bird/phoenix symbol, and S27, but are not marked with "925" or the words "sterling silver". I have googled every combination of words I could think of, and haven't come up with anything.

My question is: Can these be sterling, or are they "silverplated"? I found some items that are described as sterling hollow ware....is this what I have?

Thanks.

Photobucket

Photobucket

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: 2 Vases ~ Engraved with dates 1939 & 1941

You might get an idea by looking at my link.

Sorry that I can't help further.

Here is a link that might be useful: EBAY

o

Yeah....they're sterling.....dont' "craft" them!
Linda C

o

You don't get to put the word "sterling" onto a metal piece unless it's sterling silver

You have two nice sterling silver (hollow ware) vases. Often called "Trunpet" vases.

o

Thanks for all the input. Guess I'm still in the "apprentice" stage, eh?

o

No, they're not sterling. "International Sterling" is what the International Co put on its *silverplated* pieces. They got away with using the word "sterling" because it was part of their name. Pretty sneaky. The actual sterling pieces they made have their maker's mark and the word "sterling"

Laura

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Antiques & Collectibles Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here