Return to the Antiques & Collectibles Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Old Silver Dollars--does anyone know a

Posted by vannie (My Page) on
Wed, May 4, 11 at 20:17

reputable source for selling? So many of the web sites want all your info--including e-mail, which I don't need anymore junk mail. I wonder what's the best way to sell these w/o getting cheated. Anybody deal w/ old coins?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Old Silver Dollars--does anyone know a

I used to know someone that did deal in coins, he loved to tell how he'd pay a widow couple of dollars for 1 & sell it at his shop, before day was out for $17. That was long ago so don't know that too many are trustworthy! Sorry!

o

You can always list them on Ebay - they sell for pretty good prices as long as they are old enough or in good enough condition. Or at least you can check Ebay for what the going rate is on a particular coin that has already sold, and when you talk to a local coin dealer, you would have a better idea if they are giving you a good price or not.

I used to collect when I was a kid, and I still have all of my collection. I have often thought about liquidating my collection as well. If you don't mind me asking - what coins do you have? I doubt I would want to buy, but just curious, thats all.

o

The prices are going to fluctuate depending on the going/daily rate of silver.

Condition and actual silver content are all factors. Depending... anything before 1964 might fetch 10 - 14 times face.

You'll have to do a little research - go into selling without arming yourself with little information is an invitation to getting taken.

o

Try looking at Apmex for prices. To give you an idea what
you might get on ebay. If they are graded, like MS63, MS61,
AU ( almost uncirculated)in sealed cardboard sleeves,plastic cases, you will get more. It is very expensive to get them graded if they are not. If they are
loose coins average wear etc look on Apmex under the category
in the link provided.

Here is a link that might be useful: Apmex

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Antiques & Collectibles Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here