Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kevins1960_gw

Can someone help me identity this punchbowl set?

KevinS1960
11 years ago

Hi all! Just joined and was hoping to get some input. I have a punchbowl set that was my mothers. I have the bowl, base, 11 cups and "S" hangers. The bowl is almost a half inch thick! Can anyone help me with identifying this set? I have had it listed on craigslist and haven't had any interest. Pics below.

Thanks in advance!

Kevin

Comments (25)

• lindac
    11 years ago

It's one of those early 20th century pressed glass patterns that emulate the brilliant cut glass. It's likely one of the States series, but don't know which one.
    Search the rooms on the site linked below, or perhaps email them a picture of your bowl and mugs. I know there are more items in that pattern, so just because you don't see a punch bowl doesn't mean you have not found the pattern.
    Linda C

Here is a link that might be useful: Pattern glass

• KevinS1960
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Linda
    Thanks so much for the link. I had found one on a website a few years back that had sold. Unfortunately, the link is no longer active.

If anyone else has input I welcome it greatly!

Thanks again

Kevin

• jemdandy
    11 years ago

It appears to be molded or pressed glass, not cut glass. During the depression and the war years of the 1940s, pieces like these were offered as premiums at stores selling food and household items. After purchasing a prescribed amount of, say, laundry soap, you could choose a piece.

My mother collected several serving pieces this way. I inherited her punch bowl. Its major use: to mix a batch of kool aid!

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    11 years ago

Kevin, I have one that is very similar that I inherited. Same edges and shapes, but different pattern. Thanks for the link, Linda. Off to check it out.

• ten3_2tex
    11 years ago

Kevin, I have one. Same style in different pattern. It is very big and very heavy. I have the S for hanging the cups. I can't say who made it but I can tell you that it did not come from food premiums. I bought mine in a store where I worked at in the early 60's. That does not mean that it was from the 60's because it hung around the store for a long time. I got to buy extra cups because other punch bowls had broken. I bought 36 cups with the punch bowl. Along the years I have picked some at yard sales so I have a few more. I love my bowl and have used it only once. It is so heavy I am afraid to break it while washing. I have it as a show piece.

• lindac
    11 years ago

This bowl is not depression glass nor was it acquired as a premium in a grocery store. It dates no later than 1930....more likely about 1900 to 1910.

• texasredhead
    11 years ago

Not sure why you want to sell the set, but I don't think there is a big market for this type of pressed glassware. Very simply, IMO, the market for fine depression glass, Rosewood pottery, and collectibles like Hummel, and Lindac's favorite, Precious Moments, are largely dried up. There simply are very few people any more with disposable income let alone jobs.

• lindac
    11 years ago

If you doubt that people are buying antiques (as opposed to collectables like Precious Moments and Hummel) just check out a few live auctions. There are lots of people with jobs and with disposable income still buying real antiques.

• Fori
    11 years ago

I think it's time we revived the punch bowl!

I have one only because my mother was hosting a wedding in a small town and couldn't locate a punch ladle for the margaritas (my mother has and uses two punch bowls). I finally found one at a thrift store. Of course it came with a bowl and cups and all that.

Can I fill it with iced cappuccino or something? Oops must take this to the entertaining forum. :)

Kevin, of nobody wants it, save it for winter and have some friends over for some really strong eggnog. It's awfully nice!

• lindac
    11 years ago

Punch bowls are wonderful for a lot of fruit salad....or potato salad, or tossed green salad.
    I have only used mine once for "punch"...but lots for other stuff.

There are 4 at the church....and for a lunch I very often have 4 in use...2 for fruit salad and 2 for pasta or potato salad.

• Fori
    11 years ago

My mother's bowls usually come out at large gatherings for a green salad. This is probably why she'd lost her ladles--different utensils for salads. :)

• nhb22
    11 years ago

texasredhead is basically saying the same thing that a fine auctioneer told me the other day. Simply, the young are not buying the old stuff. They want new. And the old are not buying because of the economy. They are saving. ;)

Now, check out the punch bowl that I have inherited from my parents. It was my grandmothers. I also have something like 25 silver punch cups to go along with it.

Not sure I will ever use the punch bowl and cups for it's intended purpose. My grandmother would make a superb batch of eggnog on Christmas Eve and serve from the bowl and cups. My mother has put the bowl to good use by serving a fine bunch of shrimp on ice out of it. I currently have the bowl on my dining room table full of dried hydrangeas.

• lindac
    11 years ago

Well....that's not what I am seeing....prices at sales are higher than last year which were higher than the year before etc.
    The estate sale and garage sales are over run by people buying to resell on ebay.
    However popularity for some things wax and wane and things like 50 year old Fenton glass and the newer versions of depression glass seem to have taken a hit, but the good old walnut furniture, real old glass and certainly silverware has continued to be good.

However I am not seeing the sweet young things who are furnishing their first homes as much as I did, about 20 years ago.

What I am finding is a lot more "junque" shoppes calling themselves antiques shops...lots more Antiques malls with married stuff, repainted stuff...and tsotchkis. Perhaps they are the ones feeling the bite.

• nhb22
    11 years ago

May be.

We sold a Fenton piece for $10. It was a pink bowl. Also sold a piece of vaseline glass for $45. A vase with thorns. I say a similar sold on eBay for $135. I ask for people to make an offer, and only this one man did. Again, instead of going through the hassle of selling, packing and worrying about insurance on eBay, we let them both go for less.

• Tealpwraz
    11 years ago

I believe it's the "Marjorie" pattern by Cambridge.

Here is a link that might be useful: Cambridge Marjorie- Replacements.com

• Tealpwraz
    11 years ago

BTW... Do not ask for less than $200 on this set. You will be cheating yourself.

• lindac
    11 years ago

Wow....you nailed the pattern!!
    But....based on Replacement's prices.....they are nearly double what the fair market price would be....$200 for the punch bowl, stand and 11 cups would be one heck of a buy!

The pattern dates from 1910 and is sometimes called pressed star and arch.....and Cambridge had a later pattern also called Marjorie.
    It'
    s really a fabulous set....nothing like that made recently....and if there were it would sell for more than a thousand.

Check new punch bowls.......and see what junk $100 will buy! Not much.
    It's a beautiful set!!
    Linda C

• Tealpwraz
    11 years ago

Thank you. I of course said $200 not because of what Replacements said they would want for it, but on a wholesale price. BTW, there is a great market of younger folks who will buy this stuff. I am only 32 and I collect glass... I also know of a few friends who also enjoy glass and antiques. So, this market is NOT "dried up." Many people in my generation like to buy antiques and vintage items (Including punch bowls) Because they are well made. I am constantly shopping at antique, consignment and thrift stores. I prefer them over the crap they sell at Walmart and Ikea. If you have trouble selling something like this on eBay... look into a consignment store with an internet store.

• lindac
    11 years ago

Just for kicks I looked on etsy for punch bowls.....and found some amazing things!! Punch bowl stands, with the bowl, displayed upside down and asking $95, a planter... 6 inches tall and 4 inches wide or the FDA sort....selling as a "vintage punch bowl. a modern punch bowl available at BBB for $75....asking $120, called Mid Century.
    And you know shipping adds mega bucks to the cost!
    Moral of the story/
    Don't pay to ship a punch bowl!

• Sade Hall
    8 years ago

I have a punch bowl but dont know how much it's worth

• sheilajoyce_gw
    8 years ago

I bought a cheap pressed glass punch bowl set 30 or 40 years ago at our local drug store chain. We use it at holidays when I make a nice strawberry punch for everyone. My kids, now in their 30s and 40s, love it when I get it out and serve punch for the afternoon.

• powermuffin
    8 years ago

For Christmas brunch, I too make punch in my punch bowl and my kids love it too!

Diane

• Lori Armstrong
    8 years ago

Try asking here: https://www.facebook.com/groups/331447116994495/?fref=nf They have a lot of people who know their glass.

• lindac92
    8 years ago

Lori, the bowl has been identified, it's a Cambridge pattern....pressed not cut.