Return to the Antiques & Collectibles Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
How much to sell this chair on CL? - Cross post

Posted by marti8a (My Page) on
Sun, May 31, 09 at 18:49

I posted this on the decorating forum and it was suggested I post the question here.

My question with pictures on Decorating Forum

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: How much to sell this chair on CL? - Cross post

My thoughts are if it's been in your family for 90 years,why would you want to sell it?

o

Correction. It's been in dh's family for 90 years. Mil got tired of it and foisted it off on him/me. Dh doesn't want it, and it takes up space I could really use for something else. Dh also got his great grandfather's foot powered dental drill. Now that's a beauty I could really do without, but unfortunately, dh wants to keep it. Our den is full of this kind of stuff, and I finally decided that if they don't love it enough to keep it until they die, I don't have to either.

o

Marti -- I don't thing Craigslist is going to be the place to sell an antique that could be valuable. You just don't get the right audience there. Folks on Craigslist are looking for bargains, and while there are shoppers who want quality items and/or genuine antiques (waving), they still want them at bargain basement prices. And while there are some antique dealers who shop there, I suspect they would offer you a 'garage sale' price and not alert you if the piece were worth far more.

Do you have any good antique stores near you that would take the piece on consignment? And if you can wait until the economy rebounds, I bet the improvements in the antiques market will be worth the wait.

o

I would find a few sites that you can find a similar item for sale and make an estimate based on that.

You can always put your item on eBay.

Here is a link that might be useful: Antique Furniture Online

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Antiques & Collectibles Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here