Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jerrylintexas

Hubbinet Guaranteed Furniture

jerrylintexas
16 years ago

Does anybody know anything about this. I believe it's probably English. The piece I have looks to be about 30's or 40's, curved front, glass shelving, glass sliding doors with what appears to be etching on it. Curved doors on each side and curved drawers on the bottom. Soesn't sound so great, but it's really pretty and super condition. There is a small plate inside one door that reads Hubbinet Guaranteed Furniture.

It is maybe 30 inches tall and five feet wide.

Comments (5)

• busman245
    15 years ago

i have same hubbinet furniture it was my grandmothers she bought it in 1935 from jas woodhouse&son house furnishers 28-36 renfield street glasgow scotland it cost £4 --10shillings i have original reciept all i know is the etching on the glass is gold leaf havent been able to find out anything else about it

• jimmatier_hotmail_co_uk
    12 years ago

I have a Hubbinet china cabinet belonged to my aunt, i believe i remember seeing it in her house in the fifties.i would like to find out more about it please.

• y29453
    5 years ago

My grandfather started the Hubbinet furniture business in the late 50s and my father also worked in the company. I also did weekend and summer work there. The factory was based in Romford, Essex and produced well-made dining room and bedroom furniture, also various glass-fronted display cabinets. As fashions changed these types of designs were replaced by reproduction furniture comprising repro Chippendale, and Sheraton desks, chairs, tables, and display units. The business succumbed to competition and ceased trading in the 1980s. My brother re-established the trademark in the 90s producing reproduction furniture and this business was wound up after a few years of successful trading. If you can put up some photos I would be interested in seeing your furniture.

• y29453
    5 years ago

To add to my previous comments, my grandfather started making furniture in a small workshop, then at some point moved to larger premises in the East End of London. It may be that he named the business Hubbinet at that time but this would tie up with the pre-war receipt. During the war he moved the business to Bognor and was engaged in war work there before moving back to London.

• Lynne Erica Murphy
    2 years ago

Hello, I have just bought a hubbinet cocktail cabinet from my local charity shop, it is so well made and will be upcycling it but its great to hear the history of it as I'd never heard of hubbinet furniture before. You should be very proud 👏