Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
artydecor

Help with sewing machine cabinet

artydecor
10 years ago

I would appreciate it if anyone could identify the maker and approximate age of this beautiful sewing machine cabinet. It's just the cabinet, the machine is long gone. it's tiger oak, with elaborate carvings and ornate brass hardware on the drawers. No labels or identifying markings anywhere.
{{gwi:1383481}}

{{gwi:1383482}}

{{gwi:1383483}}

Comments (7)

• lazy_gardens
    10 years ago

The pressed oak places in the 1890-1920 era but there were so many makers of cabinets that it's impossible to say more than that.

• jemdandy
    10 years ago

I think we can rule out Singer. Singer incorporated a stylized "S" in the vertical cast frame pieces. However, the small iron wheels are the same as used by Singer.

• calliope
    10 years ago

Pieces like that, sans machine can often be attributed by machine manufacturer by the style of the iron legs and treadle. I don't have a subscription anymore to my antique machine source info or I may have been able to nail it pretty closely. But I think lazygardens is right in there with approximate age.

• macybaby
    10 years ago

For sure not Singer, while the older treadles didn't have the S, they were also the "Coffin top" type.

For age, what does the machine opening look like? that may also give a clue to the manufacturer of the machine that went i, though many used the same cabinet manufacturer (though not Singer).

I'd also say the age is in that range - Before that they didn't use the flip type opening that this has.

I've been doing a lot of research on SInger treadles, and I've seen a lot of other treadle cabinets online and in person, but not one like that. The ornate sides that hold the drawers are very unique, and it's also got a very plain treadle base.

Try Wheeler and Wilson - that looks the closest - does yours have metal support right up under the cabinet to hold the legs together?

• macybaby
    10 years ago

Yes, it's for sure a Wheeler and Wilson, Show how the machine fits, and that will clinch it as WW had a different method than the Singer clones used.

Singer bought out WW, so this was from before that happened, so this will be very early 1900's or older.

This post was edited by macybaby on Mon, May 13, 13 at 17:18

• artydecor
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks so much,super sleuths! Wheeler and Wilson it is.
    I found the same one on etsy, beautifully cleaned and restored.
    Mine is missing some veneer, and doesn't have the machine.
    I bought it because it is so pretty and I couldn't resist. I don't have space for it, and would like to sell. Not being an expert in restoration, I should probably leave repairs to the next owner.

Here is a link that might be useful: wheeler and wilson W9

• artydecor
    Original Author
    10 years ago

There are also a couple on ebay! Thanks again, I've been googling "carved oak sewing machine cabinet" and every variation of that phrase. I never would have found it.

Sponsored
Kuhns Contracting, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars26 Reviews
Central Ohio's Trusted Home Remodeler Specializing in Kitchens & Baths