Return to the Antiques & Collectibles Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Vintage Obscure Glass Window Pane

Posted by emilypate (My Page) on
Tue, May 29, 12 at 17:10

This is a textured glass pane out of a 24 pane, 10 foot tall church window. The church was built in the late 1800's in the small town of Greenfield, TN. I have searched the internet to try to find what the style is called but I have not been successful. The edges of the glass are not straight and some edges are very jagged (as the one I have included in the pictures). Appears they were hand cut. There are small bubbles randomly throughout the glass as if it were hand blown. One side of the glass is smooth with slight waves and the other is bumpy. I appreciate any help as to figuring out the uniqueness and value of this type of glass. Thank You, Emily Pate

Here is a link that might be useful: Vintage Glass Pane

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Vintage Obscure Glass Window Pane

That is bumpy textured glass meant to obscure the view through it much like glass for bathromm windows. The bumps, or pits, have a definite pattern.

o

Not very unique. It's machine-made industrial glass used to keep people from looking out or in while letting a lot of light through.

Those panes, or patterned colored panes were often used as placeholders for planned stained glass windows. The congregation would periodically hold fundraisers and buy a pane of leaded glass, or if they got lucky someone would donate a window.

And the smaller churches usually didn't get many stained glass windows.

o

Window glass was cut by hand, There are and were lots of patterns of obscure glass.
It's not hand blown, it's rolled.
As to value, ask at a local architechtural salvage yard.

o

Thanks for your responses. I was going to experiment with coloring the glass, but I wanted to make sure beforehand that they weren't of too much value that coloring them would lessen their value. I guess I can go ahead and make them pretty now :)

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Antiques & Collectibles Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here