Return to the Antiques & Collectibles Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Can you help me identify this gaming board?

Posted by lodgedinmybrain (My Page) on
Mon, May 27, 13 at 16:15

Hello!
I was given this gaming board and was considering selling it to someone who had inquired. But when I tried to research it absolutely nothing came up. This picture shown is of it's only label. Which is written in an older french dialect if I am not mistaken. One side is a chess board and the other (inside) looks like a type of back gammon. I'm more than happy to provide more pictures if you would like and would deeply appreciate any and all help in solving my mystery. I've never come up so dry in an antique search berfore and I am boggled. Thankyou so for your time.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Can you help me identify this gaming board?

Here is a pic of the inside board and hinges. (My apologies in advance for the poor quality.)

o

A photo of the entire piece would be helpful.

o

whoops! That's a good call. Thankyou for pointing that out. I'm a dweeb sometimes and would have probably been wondering why no one responded. I think it's obvious, but this is it folded in half, closed. I'll post one of it unfolded (both sides) later tonight or tomorrow.

o

It's a standard chess/backgammon portable board.

The key to the age would be the shop or maker:
"Maison Nautre" on the Boulevard de Strasbourg in Paris ... check old city directories from Paris until you find it.

Nautre is a valid last name, rare but I got a few hits. If you are brave, e-mail them and ask if their family used to have a shop at that address.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Antiques & Collectibles Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here