Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
hmiletich_gw

Help with "Frank" Signed Painting

hmiletich
9 years ago

I have a painting that is only signed "Frank." It is very large and it is very old. The frame has "Hecho en Mexico 700" stamped on the back of it. I have attached a photo. Any assistance or leads on who the artist was would be so much appreciated! I have additional photos if requested.

Comments (38)

• teddybear_2009
    9 years ago

It reminds me of a smaller one I bought from a street artist years ago in Mexico. Cannot remember what I paid for it , probably no very much. Some of the work they do , is quite amazing.

• justlinda
    9 years ago

Reminds me of one of the speed paintings that 'starving artists' do..usually in under an hour. IMHO

• duluthinbloomz4
    9 years ago

"Hecho en Mexico" (made in Mexico) is stamped on many frames and likely has absolutely nothing to do with the painting inside it - look at the frames sold by Michaels, as well as the Starving Artists who set up sales in hotel lobbies etc. and sell frames separately for the unframed canvasses... they're all hecho en Mexico.

Like justlinda, I think the painting is a cranked out affair using the Bob Ross, "I can do anything with a fan brush" technique. As paintings go, I don't think you have a lot of value there. And Frank could be anybody.

• emma
    9 years ago

I think the picture is beautiful. I bought paintings from street vendors in Cusco, Peru for souvenirs. I also have watercolor prints painted by an American doctor in the Amazon rain forest. When I pass by them they always take me back for an instant to where they came from.

• BillyF
    9 years ago

I have a Frank as well.
    frame is marked as Hecho en Mexico UF-16

• PRO
    clark enterprises
    8 years ago

i also have a frank. it's a large landscape that is somewhat different than the two on this page but in a frame almost the same as BillyF's. again, made in mexico. a client that i work for sometimes and who owns a small art gallery that features local artists offered me 185.00 for the painting. i turned him down, got to be worth at least twice that.

• lindac92
    8 years ago

It likely is worth more than the price he offered....he's in the business of selling and has to make some profit. He has to make something for his display and the customers he attracts. Not likely you will be able to sell it for $300 though.

• Valery Jahn
    8 years ago

I just bought a "Frank" from Goodwill

• kamyararyana
    7 years ago

I saw about 10 painting in tehran all signed by frank in a large high class design shop I attach a picture though it was illegal to take picture. All paintings was about 700$. No one knew who is the painter but they said he is Mexican. I was searching for "frank" that I found this page.

• pdc831
    6 years ago

I also have this oil painting that I bought in 1984 at a show. Signed by frank only. It says on the back of picture that it is #8. Lost paperwork, and wondering who FRANK is , hope you can help .

• La Ta
    5 years ago

This is painting by Frank....although beautifully oiled painted I’m trying to determine if it is of value.

• Lynnae Ivins
    5 years ago
    Had this one for years and just decided to look it up... looking to see what it might be worth and who the actual artist is. Can anyone help?
  • HU-392610447
    4 years ago

Since this is the only place online that I could find about the mysterious “Frank” I thought I’d add a find.

• maifleur01
    4 years ago

A clue to these "Frank" pictures being not from a particular artist is if you pay attention to the type of brushes and brush strokes that are being used. Some artists will fill in details from top to bottom other will do it from side to side. I do think the first one and the Sept 1, 2018 may be from the same studio but not from the same artist. Since many of these "Studios" start with a canvas blank with the background already filled in the spot of similar color in the same place on both of the canvas was something I noticed.

Since these styles do sell some artists around the world will paint similar things, even known artists, to provide money for necessities but do not sign their real name.

The seminude does interest me as it is a "recolored" copy of renaissance paintings done by several artists. It actually shows talent to portray the body with that shading. The drapes and hair are almost like another person painted them.

• Fori
    4 years ago

But why are they all "Frank"? That is so weird. I wonder if there is an explanation for the signatures (aside from Frank actually doing all these).

I do think the signature on the little girl painting is different enough to not be a true "Frank".

• hardbod775
    4 years ago
    last modified: 4 years ago

I just got a painting on canvas that is also signed simply Frank. 36×24, the frame is very well made and appears to be Cedar. Which is nice because it's very lightweight. I got it for free from my friend who owns a consignment store. I have no idea if it has any value but I love the painting so it's going on my wall.

• bleusblue2
    4 years ago

Malfleur's post pretty well describes it. I also posted previously -- "Frank" is probably a name used by mass producers in Asia or somewhere overseas. My friend described how the picture goes down the line, one person doing the trees, the next doing the snow on the trees. Her brother was a good artist in his own right but he made money doing this. The name was signed by somebody else.

• Erin Kent Hamlet
    3 years ago

That's

• Erin Kent Hamlet
    3 years ago

Frank kent

• Erin Kent Hamlet
    3 years ago

• Erin Kent Hamlet
    3 years ago

• Erin Kent Hamlet
    3 years ago

• lindac92
    3 years ago

there is nothing about any of the paintings pictured that look anything like the work of Frank Ward Kent.

• Erin Kent Hamlet
    3 years ago

• Fori
    3 years ago

Why are these all phone screenshots?

• Erin Kent Hamlet
    3 years ago

• Erin Kent Hamlet
    3 years ago

• Erin Kent Hamlet
    3 years ago

• Erin Kent Hamlet
    3 years ago

• Erin Kent Hamlet
    3 years ago

• Erin Kent Hamlet
    3 years ago

• maifleur03
    3 years ago

You state that these paintings are by your uncle and you can tell by the distinctive F. However those that show the signature that F varies. Your signature closeup shows a tick on the left. The other pictures show a tick on the right or a line through.

• Fori
    3 years ago

Thanks for the explanation. Houzz is sure a weird website! :)

• Liz Oliveras
    2 years ago

I have a landscape painting signed A. Frank and also in a frame that has hecho en mexico on the back. And i am also clueless about who the painter is.

• lindac92
    2 years ago

The frame is an inexpensive frame made in mexico very recently....and Frank is very likely one of those "factory painters"....most likely came from a starving artist sale.

Read previous posts on this thread.

• denise1502
    last year

Heres my Frank painting! just bought it for $6 at a thrift store. I love it and hope it is by the real Frank!

• HU-625265713
    last year
    last modified: last year

Hello, today I've received a painting signed by K. Frank. It was ordered from an Austrian antique shop. It has some scratches and the old frame has few damages. The sky and the water look very similar to what I've seen in your picture.