Return to the Antiques & Collectibles Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
What in the world was this used for?

Posted by newhomebuilder (My Page) on
Sun, May 27, 12 at 14:44

This was hand painted by my grandmother, but I cannot figure out what type of serving piece this was. The plate is slightly deep and is about 12". The dome is about 6" wide. Any ideas?

Photobucket

Photobucket

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: What in the world was this used for?

Butter dome

o
RE: ??What in the world was this used for?

I'm rethinking that, suddenly. But it looks right in the picture - are your diameter measurements a little off?

o

You were right the first time....a butter dish. "in the olden days" butter was churned at home and then worked with butter paddles and perhaps molded in a butter mold or just worked into a round and put in the dish. The inset with the holes was to allow any excess buttermilk to drain away.

Here is a link that might be useful: butter mold

o

Thank you Lindac, I knew you would know what it was. You too, duluthinbloomz4. That was our first thought, but wondered why the shape was round. Grandmother certainly did not make her own butter from butter molds. We think she ran out of things to paint, and found the dish. lol

Thank you!

o

What's the mark on the bottom....just out of curiosity....
Linda C...(Note!!! My last name begins with "C"!!...Like on you dish....just say'in....if you don't have a use for it)

o

lol, Linda. I can not look on the bottom. The piece, along with the complete place setting of matching china is now wrapped up for my nieces. Most of the pieces that I have, and have seen all have just my grandmothers name and date on the bottoms. She painted and fired so many items, it has been overwhelming deciding who gets what, or wants what!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Antiques & Collectibles Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here