Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
nesterhaus

Corncob finials antique dresser HELP identify

Nesterhaus
12 years ago

Wondering who made this dresser and its age etc. No decernable marking on it and the mirror posts are topped with carved corncobs and bamboo looking sections circling the height of the posts. Small old metal casters are on the legs and our guess is 1880's

The wood on the mirror posts almost appears ebony but probably with stain of somekind. We have been unable to locate anythnig about this piece etc and are curious as to its origin, age and value. We will poat a close up shot soon. Please and thank you!!!

An image of it may be seen here: http://www.flickr.com/photos/22909222@N04/5703809297/in/photostream

Here is a link that might be useful: Photo

Comments (2)

• lindac
    12 years ago

not sure why, but it almost screams 1880 to me....think it's those rounded, slightly overhanging top drawers.
    Most likely mahogany veneer and most likely finished with shellac...
    The corn cob finials are a whimsical touch.
    Linda C

• calliope
    12 years ago

My guess would be anywhere in the period of 1890 to 1915. I'm thinking more on the later end than the earlier. I'm offering this guess because I think it's in the style of American Empire and it had a revival in that time frame. And I have seen similar pieces made circa 1910 with the exact base configuration with that label. The mirror supports, including the finials are interesting, but I don't think those are corn cobs but without a little better picture of the finials I sure wouldn't argue that point.