Return to the Antiques & Collectibles Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
What's the story on this CL walnut bed?

Posted by riosamba (My Page) on
Sun, May 23, 10 at 14:28

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

We bought this bed for a pittance yesterday from a CL seller (these are the photos from his ad). It's condition is only fair, but it is just right as a bed for a younger child who appreciates nice old things but sometimes doesn't care for them properly.

The trim pieces have variations in size from piece to piece. There is a sort of lever mechanism that holds the side boards to the headboard and footboard which is stamped with either first initial "C" or "D" followed by "Robinson Rochester NY" Next line "Pat Dec 28 1858."

In googling around, I see that there was a Charles Robinson who was making furniture in Rochester in the 1880s.

I'm curious as to the likely age of the bed? My thanks in advance to any of you experts who take the time to answer:)

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: What's the story on this CL walnut bed?

I think 1880's is a likely guess. I think it's a great piece. What's wrong with the condition? Looks good from the pics.
Linda C

o

Linda, thanks for your reply. I say fair because it has some dings that aren't really visible in the photos- nothing horrible, a few paint drips, etc. Perhaps I should call it good rather than fair. I'm very pleased with it!

o

Is that piece of wood on the head board...between the curved top and the bottom...one solid piece of wood?...

o

There are three pieces of wood from the top of the headboard (and the footboard) to the bottom. The straight line under the curve is the end of the first piece. If you look down from above you also see three pieces front to back- there are three ridges to the curve. The outer ridges appear to be from the same piece of wood. I will try to take some pictures tomorrow. I am probably not describing it very well!

o

Its nice, how is the mattress supported? Does it take a standard size mattress?

So many great beds are bargains these days because people don't even like to sleep in fulls anymore...its queens or bigger.

o

Thanks, Pal, I like it too. The mattress is supported with slats. I think it is a little larger than a modern twin bed. If our twin mattress doesn't fit, we will have one made.

o

I thought it looked like a 3/4 bed...that's a nice size...hard to find fitted sheets....but....

o

Very pretty! And it looks like it'd be easier to decorate around than many antique beds. (I have two Eastlake beds with high headboards, which make it difficult to arrange furniture without blocking windows -- explains why so many Eastlake headboards were cut down.)

From what I could find, your bed is earlier than the 1880's. Charles Robinson was active between 1854-1878, so it must have been made between 1858 (patent date) and 1878. Robinson was best-known as a chairmaker. The NY State Museum in Albany has some C. Robinson pieces in its "NY Furniture at the NY State Museum" exhibit. If you contact the exhibit curator (John Scherer), he should be able to tell you something about your bed, or at least tell you where you could find more information:

http://www.nysm.nysed.gov/staff/details.cfm?staffID=85

Also, you should be able to find some info in your local libary -- look for books about American furniture makers.

Here is a link that might be useful: C. Robinson chair in NY Furniture at the NY State Museum exhibit

o

Dilettante, thank you so much! I will email Mr. Scherer and post what I learn. It is such a pleasure to learn more about the bed.

o

You're welcome. If you find anything interesting, be sure to post it.

P.S. And congratulations on your terrific CL find!

o

I have a bed that is "antique size" --a 3/4 that is a little shorter at 72" rather than 75". I got a mattress and sheets through this site. The site is a little cheesy but the sheets are ok.

Here is a link that might be useful: Antique and 3/4 sheets.

o

I have not heard back from Mr. Scherer yet; I'm hoping that he is on vacation, or swamped just now, and that he will respond later. I'll also follow up on Dilletante's suggestion about furniture books at the library when I have a chance to get over there.

My little one has been sleeping in the bed for several nights and just loves it. The twin mattress works but (forgive the highly technical term;)requires a wee bit of longwise squidging. The width is perfect. I may have the mattress cut down and in that case would use sheet garters.

Pal, thanks for that site. I have filed it away for future reference.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Antiques & Collectibles Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here