Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
balego_gw

Style of chair?

balego_gw
12 years ago

I picked up this chair at a yard sale this weekend, and am in the process of recovering it. Someone has recovered it before, and under the batting I felt hard wood, so cut into the batting just enough to see what was underneath. Due to all the tack holes I will have to cover it back up rather than leaving the back exposed, but I am curious as to what kind of chair this is, and what age it might be. Thanks

{{gwi:1383279}}

{{gwi:1383280}}

Comments (9)

• lazy_gardens
    12 years ago

I see a dark bllob of chair in front of a dark background ... can you lighten the pics enough so the chair is visible?

• balego_gw
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Brighter...the blue thing is a clamp holding a spot that I had to glue.

{{gwi:1383281}}

Under the fabric on back.

{{gwi:1383282}}

• lindac
    12 years ago

That's better....but I can't make out what I am seeing under the fabric? Where is that? What is that orange stuff?

Looks like a dining room or waiting room sort of chair....maple or birch stained mahogany. Would be wonderful to have 4 of them!
    Linda c

• balego_gw
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Just to clarify, I slit open the outside back and this is what you're seeing. The orange is a stiff fabric that is against the wood on the front side of the chair back, then layered over that is fill and batting. The fibre that is lining the slats toward the front have picked up the orangy colour 'lining' fabric.

On the side shown in the photo, there is just the layer of batting against the wood. There are spindles like the arms have, and in the middle of the back is a lyre shaped piece of wood. So, someone upholstered the back when it originally wasn't, and possibly the seat was caning? I didn't cut anything open on the seat to look, and hesitate to do so because it is in a nice firm condition for the new fabric.

I don't think the chair is necessarily old, but a woman at the yard sale was clearly disappointed that she didn't get it first, and tried to talk us out of buying it because 'it would cost $500 to reupholster it". I think she was hoping we'd walk away and let her have it. (actually, it's costing me a box of staples and a yard and a half of fabric). ;)

• Fori
    12 years ago

It's so...round!

I have nothing helpful to add, but what a great shape!

• balego_gw
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Hi, Fori
    Thanks. Yes, it is quite round. And very comfortable, too, although maybe it wasn't when it didn't have upholstery on the back. The seat is lower than a dining chair, and it's fairly wide. I paid only $40 for it, and other than the ripped 90s floral fabric that was on it, it is in very good, solid condition.

• lazy_gardens
    12 years ago

It looks like a nice chair.

It's not any particular style I can identify, but it should go well almost anywhere.

My totally wild guess is 1930s.

• lindac
    12 years ago

I don't even have a wild guess....I would say anything from 1880's to 1950....but more likely late 1920's....because of that red stain.
    You say low seat....but how big is the chair? Loungeable? Could you sort of lounge or is the back too straight?

• balego_gw
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Hi Linda
    The seat is 16 inches from the floor, and the arms are 26 inches apart at the widest part of the curve. The back is comfortable and hugs your back nicely, but I can't say you can lounge in it, however it isn't as straight upright as a dining chair, it leans slightly further back than that.

Sponsored
Fresh Pointe Studio
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Industry Leading Interior Designers & Decorators | Delaware County, OH