Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
good36

I need help with old china.. lots of pictures

good36
12 years ago

These were my Grandmothers. Sister had them for many years but she is moving and we need to get rid of them. Can anyone help me with their worth, where to sell ect....These are only a few.....

Comments (6)

• sweeby
    12 years ago

I know the second set -- It's by Johnson Brothers, and there are about 6-8 different fruits made. I believe they're from about the 1940's and that the pattern name is 'California'. Typical asking prices on eBay tend to be around $10 apiece, actual selling prieces more like $5 each. I've never actually seen the cups with them, though that's probably because I've only searched for the plates. (I have a set from my grandmother also, and have occasionally looked to add to it.)

• lindac
    12 years ago

Your pictures are so poor it's almost impossible to tell you anything. the teapot and cups with the rose on them could be older moss rose or much newer and less desirable Made in Japan stuff.
    No idea what the top group might be....in that grouping of tea cups the middle one looks like it might be made in Germany and quite nice...but maybe not.
    Better pictures if you want more info.
    Linda C

• calliope
    12 years ago

Good36, it's obvious you went through some effort to display them as you did, and if someone has any of those sets, like Sweeby did, how you did it would ring bells and you could get lucky. However, it's probably not going to be so easy to just post them and expect someone reading would recognise each set you post and get it resolved immediately. It may take some time and some effort on your part for research after you identify the makers and hopefully the patterns and age.

What is really helpful is showing the marks on the underside. Most are unique and can trace you back to a company and a good place to start a search. Instead of putting a bunch of different items on in one thread, it would be more helpful to take one set at a time, and get clear, concise pictures with some of the undersides showing. When the maker is discovered, the hunt for pattern is only just begun. This might be a little more invovled than you'd hoped.

• good36
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Sorry Linda C, I thought my pictures were good LOL. I know nothing about china so that's why I came to this forum. thanks Sweeby and calliope. I will try to take better pictures if I post again. I will try to find out more but not sure what sites to go to.

• lindac
    12 years ago

Your pictures are so poor it's almost impossible to tell you anything. the teapot and cups with the rose on them could be older moss rose or much newer and less desirable Made in Japan stuff.
    No idea what the top group might be....in that grouping of tea cups the middle one looks like it might be made in Germany and quite nice...but maybe not.
    Better pictures if you want more info.
    Linda C

• lindac
    12 years ago

Not sure how my post got posted twice...
    Try looking at pictures that others have posted here and aim for those that have gotten the best responses.