Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
whatsyurprob

Genuine Kuehne Solid Oak Furniture

whatsyurprob
13 years ago

This was a company in Mattoon Ill. For some reason, I can only find the two links below listed on google images.

http://news.google.com/newspapers?nid=1499&dat=19481006&id=_y8aAAAAIBAJ&sjid=-CQEAAAAIBAJ&pg=5761,4210208

http://news.google.com/newspapers?nid=1129&dat=19430427&id=qMMwAAAAIBAJ&sjid=_GkDAAAAIBAJ&pg=3165,3091526

Other than these listings it's like they never existed. I'm astonished at the lack of info. I'm thinking about buying a dresser and there's a metal riveted tag in the top drawer left side. It says, 'This is a Genuine Kuehne' or something on that order. Over the top it says, Mattoon Ill..

I would sure like some info on it.

Thanx.

Here is a link that might be useful: Kuehne Ad

Comments (18)

• lindac
    13 years ago

Why do you care about the company that made it? If it's well made and in good condition and the price is right....and you like it...it matters not a whit who manufactured it....there were many many MANY furniture makers and not all are famous.
    Just for the record....something in the back of my head says that Kuehne was in business from late 20;s to the mid to late 60's and from all reports made decent furniture.
    Linda C

• sunnyca_gw
    13 years ago

The ad is in a newspaper talking about the war & if you read over it mentions world War & present conflict which would be WWII So must be around 1939-45!

• lindac
    13 years ago

If you read the date at the top of the page it says April 27th 1943.....which only means that the pieces pictured were made at that time....not necessarily when the OP's set was made.
    Linda C

• sombreuil_mongrel
    13 years ago

Not only that, but at the top of the pdf it reads:
    Pittsburgh Post-Gazette - Apr 27, 1943
    Casey

• User
    13 years ago

Kuehne Manufacturing Co. was in business in Mattoon from 1932-1965 and they made dinette sets. I can't find much more about them, but if you are really curious, try contacting the local historical society.

Here is a link that might be useful: Mattoon history

• whatsyurprob
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Begging everyone's pardon, I have all the info posted already. Can't seem to find anymore though. Even had discussions with every society in the town of Mattoon including the CofC. Nothing new learned. I picked this "Buffet Server" (looked like a two drawer dresser without a mirror to me) up at a thrift store and am wondering how a company who started making furniture in 1932 to 1965 just dropped off the face of the earth. I know why they went out of business but what happened to their oak furniture? Can't find even a mention of it other than, , , U know. I've found info on the tube furniture but it's like the oak dinette pieces never existed. I'm wondering how rare this piece I have really is.

Question: Is it a good bet that it's extremely rare and I might have the only one either made or left, i.e. an original?

Thanx.

• lazy_gardens
    13 years ago

Can you post some pictures of the furniture?

There were MANY companies that worked and vanished leaving almost no trace. Some made things that were mostly sold under "store brands" with very few pieces sold under their own names. Others made unremarkable stuff that isn't worth fussing about.

• whatsyurprob
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I still can't figure out why a company in business for 33 yrs. and a leader in the famous tube furniture just dropped off without a trace.

Here is a link that might be useful: Kuehne Buffet

• Ideefixe
    13 years ago

Not having information readily available via Google and "dropped without a trace" are two different things.

If you search under "Kuehne manufacturing", you can find more information, such as the company losing a lawsuit in 1956.

Here is a link that might be useful: Kuehne manufacturing

• lazy_gardens
    13 years ago

The buffet is a nice piece of furniture.

The multi-ridged molding was very popular after the GE Building (in the Rockefeller Center, New York) opened in 1933. It imitated the string ridged appearance of the building.

That reasonably dates it to the mid-1930s through maybe early 1940s.

• tmmclelland_yahoo_com
    12 years ago

I was wondering if my find was worth anything also it 1935 by the same manufacture I just bought a dining set but mine is painted three time so i'm stripping it down.

• Alan Hubbard
    8 years ago

Kuehne was making Chrome Dinette Sets in the 60's in Mattoon, Il ,which is my home town. The company was sued for stealing designs from another manufacture, and lost the lawsuit. They couldn't pay the settlement so they liquidated the business, and the factory was sold.

• Renee Cofell Westwood
    6 years ago

I too have a carved oak antique dining room table (which still has the 2 leaves stored under it ) and the 4 matching chairs by Kuehne- under 1 of the chairs in grease pen is the date April 23, 1935 .. the date my Grandparents bought it

• Jamie Reed
    5 years ago

I have a 2 drawer chest with a tag on the back that says mattoon mfg co. Does anyone know when the stopped making furniture under this name and how old it could be.

• jemdandy
    5 years ago
    last modified: 5 years ago

20th century:

The Kuehne Company:

1932 Began producing wood dinette sets

1950 By 1950, was making chromed metal breakfast-room sets

1965 Closed

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mattoon,_Illinois

1938 Had labor problems with union labor.

https://labor-relations-board.vlex.com/vid/kuehne-manufacturing-co-43017902

• Helen
    4 years ago

As posted above, unless there is some design significance to a specific "name", there is no reason to know anything about the manufacturer of common furniture. There are so many business reasons why smallish American manufacturers went out of business by the 1960's.

How many people know anything about the manufacturers of current stuff being manufactured for the working and middle class home market? Will anybody rave about the provenance of a West Elm hutch 60 years from now?

If you like an item and it is in good functional condition, it is worth whatever you want to pay for it. I grew up in a household that bought "used" (aka vintage items) and also bought vintage items instead of new when it made sense and my criteria was generally whether the item was less than an equivalent new item. Since my design aspirations weren't IKEA or Target, in general I could get a nicer better piece of wood furniture by buying vintage especially since I tended to like older stuff like Art Deco - Heywood Wakefield and the idea of actually buying new tchotchkes from Home Goods instead of acquiring them at flea markets and antique stores was unthinkable :-).

The pieces in the illustration were produced by the millions for the mass market by hundreds if not thousands of factories. The cabinet posted by dianejpoole is an excellent example of furniture that make sense to purchase based on the style - If you like the style, it's utterly unique and wonderful. That piece is particularly stylish because of the finish, the handles and the curved wood on the glass portion. You don't need to know the provenance of furniture like that - if you like it and you can afford it, you buy it.

• HU-248532660
    6 months ago

Found