Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
wkate640

Value of 18th C Reproduction Furniture

wkate640
13 years ago

Hello everyone. I'm new to this forum and am learning a lot. I will be downsizing over the next year and have some furniture purchased in the 1980s made by Stickley (dining room table, china cabinet, and server with silver drawer), Henckel-Harris cherry BR furniture, Statton console table and a few other pieces by Council Craftsmen, a Sligh Greenfield Village tall clock (Jacob Eby--numbered), and I wonder how to price these things? A percentage of what I paid? They are all in very good to mint condition. I could send them to auction but would like to try to sell them myself first and don't know where to begin. Thanks very much for whatever info you can share.

Comments (6)

• sweeby
    13 years ago

FunctionFirst - Will you please email me privately using the address in my member page? (No SPAM - I promise.) I have a bit of information about your items and a few questions for you, if you don't mind.

Thanks -

• sweeby
    13 years ago

Never mind -- I've done some further research and answered my own questions.
    (But if you're curious, I'd be happy to explain if you want to email me.)

I'd love to see a picture of the clock --

• palimpsest
    13 years ago

Its all very good furniture, but in that age group 25-30 years, I think its still in the "used furniture" category, and it is worth what someone is willing to pay for it. I don't know about the clock, since it is numbered. The only furniture that appreciates early on is studio made furniture, and even pieces of Nakashima are experiencing a slump in prices right now, due to the economy, and due to a relative saturation in the market of these made-to-order pieces as the original owners die, or move to assisted living facilities.

• lazy_gardens
    13 years ago

Try CraigsList and research the cost of replacing them ...

Point out what buying them new would cost wherever possible.
    If Stickley still sells an item, and it's currently $4500 you can offer to sell for $2500-3000 and everyone goes home happy.

• sweeby
    13 years ago

Used furniture on Craigslist typically sells for around 25% (sometimes up to 40%) of the cost of comparable new furniture. (Most buyers probably figure they can buy new retail at 50% off if they shop around, hence the low % prices.)

Consignment shops usually charge (and get) more, but by the time they take their cut (typically half!), the seller is usually not any better off.

An estate sale or placement in an estate auction held by a wellknown upscale auction house might yield the best results for your items, since they're of high quality.

• wkate640
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks everyone. You've given me lots to think about.