Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
artydecor

Help with 1925 painting

artydecor
10 years ago

Hi, I was wondering if anyone can tell me anything about this oil painting, which I found in a consignment shop. It measures 15 1/2 x 14". The subject is a pair of horses at a mountain stream. The mountains are in a semi-abstract style. It might have been framed at one point, but now the canvas is just nailed onto a wood stretcher. The back of the canvas is very dirty- would vacuuming would be a way to clean it? The artist's signature is difficult to read- something like F. Fubst. It is dated 1925. I'd appreciate any information about the artist, style, value, etc.

Comments (6)

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    10 years ago

Can't give you any info, but I love that painting. It reminds me of the style of a female painter from that era, but I can't remember her name. If you want to sell it, email me! :). I love the style.

• annie1971
    10 years ago

I'm sorry, I know nothing. But it's gorgeous, original or not, it's exactly what I would want. Do you see the lion's head and the elephant/mammoths head in the rock formation, or am I just wanting to see something? And is there another squeezed in between. Take it to a credible gallery. I think you have something very special -- IMHOP.

• texasredhead
    10 years ago

There are a number of competent amatures over time who never received fame. As an example, I have a fine watercolor done by an art professor at a major university. He is not well known outside that venue. Your painting which appears to be an oil, is probably worth what you paid for it.

• artydecor
    Original Author
    10 years ago

At first, I thought it was just two horses drinking at a mountain stream. Now I can see all kinds of human and animal figures in the rocks. The "pack" on the brown horse's back is actually the hood of a small robed figure standing alongside him. Would this be considered an example of symbolist or surrealist art? Not sure of the difference in styles, but from what I've researched, those movements were influential in the 1920s.

• lou_texas
    10 years ago

On Ancestry.com, there are several F. Fobst entries that might provide more information, if you'd care to become a member.

1920 Census
    Fredrick R Probst [Fredrick A Fobst] Age 41, Clackamas, Oregon

1930 Census
    Forest F J Fobst, Age 40, Lehigh, Pennsylvania
    Frederick J W Fobst, Age 18, Lehigh, Pennsylvania

• artydecor
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks for the research tip, I'll try it.
    The painting is actually full of mythological creatures.
    The black space near the top middle is the face of a goddess. She has white hair blowing back, and the beige rocks below form her body. Her body also forms a large profile of Pan or a satyr. He is looking towards the horses, and has a foreleg and hoof raised across his forehead as if shading his eyes. The second black spot is his hoof. On the right hand side, there is the head of a bird with a crest on it's head and a thin, curved beak (at the top of the cave). I googled "bird mythology" and pictures of the phoenix came up that match. There are other things I'm not sure of.
    I'm going to try taking it to the local art museum to see if anyone there knowledgeable about art history can help.