Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
raetaylor

Help with a rug?

raetaylor
10 years ago

I found this at goodwill yesterday. I know less than nothing about rugs. Now after trying to do some research on the web I am confused. Lol. My question is how do I tell how old this is and where it is from. There is one cloth tag very faded stapled to the back that reads hand made. Any help would be appreciated !

Comments (14)

• raetaylor
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Tag

• raetaylor
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Closeup

• raetaylor
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Oh and the size is about 5'7" x 7'2" (not measuring fringe) strange size

• Yorkies2
    10 years ago

I don't know anything about the rug, but I'm envious. It's beautiful.

• calliope
    10 years ago

I'm not up on them, either, but it's lovely. Handmade oriental rugs are still being made, of course. Even the late vintage ones bring a pretty penny on resale if in good condition. I mean four figure amounts. If they are authentic, and yours may very well be. I certainly don't know enough about them to remark on that. It's worth getting an expert opinion on before you do anything drastic with this.

• raetaylor
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Well I don't plan on anything drastic...lol ...beside a little cleaning. Linda C sent me some great info, she places it being made Around 1940 or earlier. With her expertise she has ruled out several makers which has helped me narrow down a large field. I will probably end up taking it to an expert for an aprasial so I can cover it on my homeowners ins if it has any significant value. Right now I'm just thrilled I got such a good deal!

• lazy_gardens
    10 years ago

So we can all be envious ... how good was the deal?

• raetaylor
    Original Author
    10 years ago

It was 85 dollars. And for what I got its a heck of a deal. :)

• sombreuil_mongrel
    10 years ago

Hi,
    It's a Kazak tribal rug. It's not exactly a fine weave, but the colors are still really good.
    Casey

• raetaylor
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Casey, how is the weave determined? I saw a grading scale on a website that talked about knots per inch. If I counted correctly ( by directions on the website) my rug is 70 kpi. I know the construction is wool on wool. Do you know how I tell what they used to dye the wool? I read somewhere that natural dyes bleed when rubbed with a damp cloth. Thanks for any information!

• sombreuil_mongrel
    10 years ago

To my untrained (but collecting these things for about 7 yrs) it looks like the type of colors currently sold as vegetable dyed. The colors that aren't veg. are vivid greens, bright pinks, and strong reds. I do believe that natural dyes all bleed somewhat.
    Casey

• raetaylor
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Here is a better close up after some cleaning...

• raetaylor
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Outside light is so much better :)

• lazy_gardens
    10 years ago

You are rubbing it in! Taunting us!