Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
icatzaz1

Semi-impressionist painting, looking for artist

icatzaz1
13 years ago

Hi, I am having trouble reading the signature on this painting. I don't know if it's Lovell or Loveli or what. The only Lovell i could find is Tom and it's definitely not him. Any help appreciated.

Comments (9)

• lindac
    13 years ago

Is it a painting, water color or a print? It appears to be matted....which is not done with an oil...
    Would help to know what it is...
    Linda C

• icatzaz1
    Original Author
    13 years ago

It's definitely on canvas and not a watercolor. I'm afraid i can't tell any more than that.

• lindac
    13 years ago

Then why the mat? Is it a "canvas print"?....what does the back look like?

• icatzaz1
    Original Author
    13 years ago

It's stretched canvas. I'm afraid i can't help any further. I know less about these things than my mom's cat. Do they make prints on canvas?

• lindac
    13 years ago

Yes.....
    What's that white around the edge? What does the back look like?

• sunnyca_gw
    13 years ago

So why couldn't it be Tom Lovell? He did western scenes & lived in New Mexico & died in 1997. Looks like that tree would be something you might see there. Did Indian scenes & was also illustrator. Used to be a good site for Artist prints on canvas but I couldn't find it, guess I typed in something a little different. I have an oil print on canvas, it looks very much like oil painting but the paint is very even which is not the case on an oil painting. Some sell for few hundred dollars depending on artist etc. Suppose someone added the mat to go with their house. I was hoping to find Lovell's signature but I didn't see it on examples that were shown. You will have better luck perhaps looking at "western painting" or Southwest painting" I think!

• icatzaz1
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Hi guys -- the back is an off-white canvas. The white you see around the front is part of the framing. The paint is even, as you suspected. Also, I've seen Lovell's sig and he normally signs his full name. I wish! Was hoping for the best but i like the painting regardless, even tho it needs cleaning. Thanks for your efforts.

• beanmomma
    13 years ago

I stumbled upon this post completely by accident. I was looking to post a photo of some ivory? carved textile tools I would like to identify and I clicked on this post as I was intrigued by the title.

This painting may be by the mother of a good friend of mine. I've given her the link so she can see what she thinks.

Wow! Would be very cool if it is!

• beanmomma
    13 years ago

My friend and her sister are looking at the piece and will let me know what they think. To help narrow it down, if you want to message me as to where it was found it might be a little more definitive. Not that work doesn't get spread around, but the artist in question lived primarily in a specific 2 state area.