Return to the Antiques & Collectibles Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Identifying mark/umbrella stand

Posted by CatMagnet (My Page) on
Sat, May 28, 11 at 12:16

Hello!

I'm hoping someone out there can help me identify this ceramic mark or the umbrella stand. I checked every resource I could find online, searched umbrella stands, checked various books of marks. Nothing.

I found this at Goodwill and paid around $8 for it. I'm sure this was a steal, but I'm mainly interested in finding some information about it. Even if someone could point me in the right direction, it would be so helpful as I've had no luck whatsoever.

The letters in the banner read: M - C

I hope the photos are ok. Please excuse the cat. LOL

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Identifying mark/umbrella stand

It looks to me like American stoneware from the Ohio area made in the maybe, 1920's to 1930's.
I suspect it's a rare piece....so you may have to dig deep.
Do google searches on usa stoneware and USA pottery and american pottery and on m-c pottery and stoneware....etc etc.
Don';t use the word "ceramics"....as that usually means a soft pottery and that looks like stoneware by how rough the bottom looks.
Then start on the OWL umbrella stand track and branch out into owl vase.
Good luck...it's molded and has a mark so you know there were more like it.
Linda C

o
RE: Identifying mark/umbrella stand

Thanks for the reply, Linda. I appreciate the help and some general (possible) information on the piece. Thanks for the tip that it's not a ceramic piece; I think I've been focusing on that word because I really don't know any better. LOL

I've tried searching for owl umbrella stand and owl vase with no luck. (I think the previous owner was using it as a vase, actually, since there was some dirt inside!)

It's in really good shape other than crazing and flea bites (maybe 2 at the most). I fell in love with the piece the moment I saw it at the thrift store and couldn't believe no one snatched it up before I did! Though I get the impression that I'm alone in my opinion of it's beauty based on the reactions of people who have seen it. :-)

Thanks again for taking the time to provide some other means to hopefully find out something about it.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Antiques & Collectibles Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here