Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
nhb22

Small Clock...Brass? Iron? What Metal?

nhb22
9 years ago

Very heavy, small clock. Maybe used on a mantle or bedside table. Not sure if it is brass, iron or metal. Magnet does not stick.

The back shows some patent dates that are hard to read.
Sept 2. 02.
Jan 5. 04.
Nov ?. 08.
??? 2. 09.

No other outward identifying marks.

Found this in an old box of things that my husband inherited from an elderly aunt.

Any ideas?

Comments (6)

• mfrog
    9 years ago

Probably a bedside clock, though you don't give dimensions, but said it was small. So made sometime after 1909, Art Nouveau-ish in design, so Circa 1910. Could be Jenning Bros, though most of their stuff was marked. If it's not working, it usually just a cleaning that it needs. If a magnet doesn't stick, it should be brass. Pretty. mfrog

• lazy_gardens
    9 years ago

Pot metal?

Make a scratch in a hidden area: brass will be bright brass color, potmetal will be silvery grey

• nhb22
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thank you!

It's pot metal. Already had a small dent and scrape on the side that shows gray underneath.

It doesn't work, and the stem is missing to wind the clock.

Since the clock is not worth selling, I'll just set it out in a bookcase. As you said, it's a pretty little thing. :)

• jemdandy
    9 years ago

Folks who tinker with clocks as a hobby might like to take a crack at repairing this one. You said that it did not work, but you don't know for sure since the stem is broken, and therefore it can't be wound. Check the course catalog of your local trade school to see if they have a clock repair course. If they do, the instructor may be looking for clocks to repair.

• nhb22
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thank you for the tip. I wonder if they would take a Grandfather clock, as well! :) (:

• jemdandy
    9 years ago

Yes, they may want the grandfather clock, but before you give it away, check it for collectability. The market value varies widely on grandfather clocks. Items that affect value are make and model, age, condition of the case and face, and having all its parts. I like grandfather clocks, except I do not have a proper place and space for displaying one. These are nice to work on because the gears and parts are large enough to see and handle. Also, large pieces are easier to refurbish.

Some grandfather clocks have temperature compensated pendulums helping to maintain accuracy with seasonal changes.

Currently, I am restoring a 37 inch tall, 8 day, shelf clock that was made in about 1830. Currently, there is not a large demand for the clock I have even though it is very old, was considered a good clock in its day, and is relatively rare since not many were made. The clock builder sold his business to his partner after he had been making these for 4 years. Tastes change with time and before I pass away, I could see its value increase significantly due to its rarity. Right now, it has more sentimental value than monetary, enough that we are not considering selling it.