Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
crazydogs

Where is Linda when I need her?

These pieces came from my great-grandmother, I think or possibly earlier. I remember my grandmother talking about them and saying they were so ugly they must be good-lol. I actually like them, but would love it if someone could identify them. Mother's family has lived outside Philadelphia since the early 1800s if that helps. The pieces are an odd assortment, so maybe someone else got pieces way back or maybe this is all that is unbroken. I have no idea. I will post pictures-can only post one at a time. Sorry.

Thanks!

Comments (10)

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Number two

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Number three

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Number four. No markings except numbers.

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Number five. There is a 3 on the back of the pitcher and nothing visible on the bottom of the cup (or sugar bowl?).

• triciae
    10 years ago

Your dishes are from c. 1845-1860. The style is almost as good as a back stamp. Made in Staffordshire, England.

The pattern-style is known as 'marble' although there are dozens (or more) of different variations made by the same manufacturers as flow mulberry and flow blue. Most stylized marble pieces are unmarked - but a few do carry back stamps. I've seen many child sets of dishes in the marble style. They were made concurrent to flow mulberry and flow blue. You could check Ellen Hill's books and see if you get lucky and she has a picture of your exact variation with maker info.

The first picture looks like mulberry but the second looks more blue? Could you clarify the color?

Stylized marble pieces are not as collectible/desirable as the Asian-stylized floral patterns.

Here's an eBay listing for a marble style piece. Note the variation from yours in the marble 'veining'.

/tricia

This post was edited by triciae on Sun, May 5, 13 at 14:45

• triciae
    10 years ago

Here's another example from etsy.

/tricia

Here is a link that might be useful: Stylized marble pattern

• triciae
    10 years ago

Dang, just noticed the ebay listing didn't show up. Let's try this again...

/t

Here is a link that might be useful: Marble pattern

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Wow! That was quick. Thanks for the information, triciae. The set is blue-I think the lighting in may have thrown the color off a bit. I will check out the link, too. I rather suspected it was old-my grandmother was born in 1887!

Thanks very much!

• triciae
    10 years ago

Yeah, I feel like an antique myself just thinking about my grandparents and great-grandparents. My maternal grandmother was born in 1873 and my maternal great-grandmother in 1836. Ouch! I've got pixs going back 8 generations including the great-grands. Whoa, scary looking! (grin)

Glad to be of assistance with the dishes. Family heirlooms are priceless, IMO.

/tricia

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I know what you mean! My maternal grandfather went out west in a stagecoach as a young man. I picture him as one of those East Coast dandies they used to show in those Westerns I watched as a kid in the 50s. ha.

Thanks again Tricia.

Cynthia