Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
connieinnd

Chittenden and Eastman Co

nodakgal
17 years ago

I have been trying to find something on Chittenden and Eastman Company from Burlington, Iowa. I bought some wooden chairs sight unseen intending to cut holes in the seat for flower pots to sit outside. The gal bought them up and they really seem in nice shape, sturdy, no splits in the seats and spindles are all there, I see a paper label on the bottom of one with C&E Co ...now of course I am second guessing myself on cutting the holes! LOL I wonder if I should try and strip the navy blue paint off them and keep them?

Why does this always happen to me, now I don't know what to do, I hate to destroy them!

Comments (12)

• nodakgal
    Original Author
    17 years ago

I should also have said the label says "Square Brand".
    Should I save or cut them??

• lindac
    17 years ago

Save them....if you cut the seat and use them in the garden they will last only a few years at the most.
    I'll bet there is aok under that paint and I'll bet the company name is a furniture store and not a manufacturer.
    Linda C

• nodakgal
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Ahhhhh furniture store, that could be! I don't know alot about old furniture,just that I have a few peices of antique oak and love it!

I guess I'd better look for a junky chair thats beat up more! LOL

Thank you!

• Miss EFF
    17 years ago

Chittenden and Eastman was a manufacture of mattresses in eastern Iowa --later became Eastman House.

Linda-- I'm thinking they did manufacture furniture. I remember a catalog we had at the Carriage House furniture store that I worked at. It was basically kitchen sets -- perfect for the chairs.

They were in business in the early 70's and closed all their facilities in the mid-80's to early-90's. The Carriage House store I worked at was an Ethan Allen dealer at that time. We would order the C&E furniture for those customers that wanted a less expensive dinette set. Good quality --- equal to Kling and some other the others.

Cathy

• cjjjohn
    15 years ago

My name is John Chittenden. This link: http://www.burlington.lib.ia.us/genealogy/furniture.htm will take you to the history of the Chittenden & Eatsman Company.

You'll learn they did a lot more than 'mattresses' long before becoming the Chittenden & Eastman Company.

John Chittenden

Here is a link that might be useful: excite.com listings of Chittenden & Eastman

• frufru
    15 years ago

We just picked up a chittenden and eastman pc. a large oak table on a pedestal, kind of "funky" with a tiger oak design on it, looks to be original, no leafs, but ready for a bunch with extra legs tucked under the top of the table, they are held in with wonderful pieces of screwed in leather. Great bas with extended legs, all sturdy with castors on each pedestal leg. We offered the table to our wonderfully hip Doctor, and she wants to see it first so we've taken a photo of it, we also picked up on the side of a suburban street, close to home a retro desk to die for. Long top that sits on 2 strong bases. great middle door, lots of hidee holes to stash cash or something interesting, in the day. the drawers have really retro pulls and knobs and we have the original brass lock and tumbler. Someone very important had this desk. It just speaks to us. The top is 7 foot long and the desk lays low with even more cool lines that make for pedestals aroound the base of each set of drawers, There's even a large piece of oak or walnut to hide your legs, which couldn't be seen since the desk is so huge, great place to hide your kid or someone! inside the top middle drawer is a small plaque that says, stow and Davis, awesome piece. We tried to give the young spanish couple an oak rocker for the desk and they said that it had been in tbe family for a long time and they didn't have the room with a new baby due in a week. They still refused to take the rocking chair....you wait until Christmas.shouldve asked if dad had the other pieces to it, the credenza sounds great. anyway, does anyone out there, maybe Mr John Chittenden a value to place on this or possibly a fair asking price. Like I said we are offering to give this to our Doctor, it would just be a kick to tell her after the fact that is is worth a bundle. Thanks for your help
    freedfru@comcast.net or 720*840*1515. we are in Denver , Thanks folks or maybe a trade for something else...we have lots of great stuff, since I grew up in the back room of an antique store in the 60's and 70's, trading is fun, so is money. keep in touch all.

• Dawn Murrell
    7 years ago

I just brought this inside. Somebody threw away at dumpster!

rying to find out what year. My guess is 1930. Is Chittenden & Eastman van base 415-4F maybe, marker over last letter.

• Denise Smith
    6 years ago

I have my mom's bed frame from when she was in her early 20's, she is now 88. She bought the bed and dresser from an elderly couple when she lived in Glasford, IL. She really didn't know how old the bed and dresser were at that time. Sadly, the bed frame has seen its better days to the point where I could not save it. In taking the bed apart, I found the paper label for "Square Brand - Chittenden & Eastman Co." It was shipped to Roecker & Dietrich furniture store in Morton, IL., which is where I am from and still live there. Thank goodness mom's dresser is still in great shape. She still uses it to this day.

• fullautojtl
    6 years ago

Hello everyone just thought I'd show Everyone a couch and chair that my friends grandma is giving me to fix her sewing chair.its a Chittenden&Eastman

• fullautojtl
    6 years ago

I was wondering if there's any museum that has any interest in it's city's history.i live outside of mt.pleasant just 25 miles from burlington.it be cool to keep the couch n chair or even reunite the furniture with it's maker

• fullautojtl
    6 years ago

I will be selling the set in the near future.they are very comfortable and in great shape my friend has been using them.his grandmother was trying to figure the age of the furniture mid 60 and they purchased them used and said to be pricey .fyi

• HU-636026643
    4 years ago

hello I would like some info on a piece of furniture it's a vanity number 2212 1/2 BMX