Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
beanmomma_gw

textile tool id

beanmomma
13 years ago

Hello,

I'm curious as to what these could be. A little background -my grandfather used to own a textile mill. Lots of odd bits of looms and other oddities in the basement. These were found all together, without any other sorts of tools. There were originally about 10 of them, but some were given away. They look like bone or ivory.

Any ideas?

Comments (12)

• lindac
    13 years ago

I would guess a bone awl...used in leather craft....can't think they would have much to do with a commercial operation.

• harebelle
    13 years ago

Probably more to do with weaving than with poking holes. Perhaps for blocking fabrics or pegging into shape before or after fulling.

• pris
    13 years ago

Could it be a more recent version of pin-beaters used in pushing down the logitudinal threads in weaving?

• calliope
    13 years ago

They look like bone stilettos. These were used to to insert eyelets.

• Ideefixe
    13 years ago

Could they be bobbins?

Here is a link that might be useful: Wooden Bobbins

• beanmomma
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thank you for the wonderful help and suggestions.

I think I'm leaning toward the bone stiletto or bodkin.

Much appreciated!

• lindac
    13 years ago

It's not a bodkin, because there is no way to use it to thread something.
    I think Calliope's analysis is the most apt.

• beanmomma
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks lindac. There are a few definitions of bodkin that are akin to the stiletto definition, no eye or threading as the primary function. Just a slender pointed tool used to make holes.

• lindac
    13 years ago

It's not a bodkin, because there is no way to use it to thread something.
    I think Calliope's analysis is the most apt.

• beanmomma
    Original Author
    13 years ago

You have been most helpful.

I am not disagreeing with Calliope's analysis, just adding an additional term that I have discovered may be, in some cases, interchangeable.

Main Entry: bod·kin
    Pronunciation: \Ëbäd-kÉn\
    Function: noun
    Etymology: Middle English bodekin
    Date: 14th century

1 a : dagger, stiletto b : a sharp slender instrument for making holes in cloth c : an ornamental hairpin shaped like a stiletto
    2 : a blunt needle with a large eye for drawing tape or ribbon through a loop or hem

• centralcacyclist
    13 years ago

I have another guess. Just a guess. Perhaps they are fids. A sailor's tool use for splicing rope. Old ones were often made from ivory or bone. The size looks right.

Here is a link that might be useful: Fids

• icatzaz1
    13 years ago

They look really cool, whatever they are.