Return to the Antiques & Collectibles Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
textile tool id

Posted by beanmomma (My Page) on
Thu, May 13, 10 at 10:54

Hello,

I'm curious as to what these could be. A little background -my grandfather used to own a textile mill. Lots of odd bits of looms and other oddities in the basement. These were found all together, without any other sorts of tools. There were originally about 10 of them, but some were given away. They look like bone or ivory.

Any ideas?

test id

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: textile tool id

I would guess a bone awl...used in leather craft....can't think they would have much to do with a commercial operation.

o

Probably more to do with weaving than with poking holes. Perhaps for blocking fabrics or pegging into shape before or after fulling.

o

Could it be a more recent version of pin-beaters used in pushing down the logitudinal threads in weaving?

o

They look like bone stilettos. These were used to to insert eyelets.

o

Could they be bobbins?

Here is a link that might be useful: Wooden Bobbins

o

Thank you for the wonderful help and suggestions.

I think I'm leaning toward the bone stiletto or bodkin.

Much appreciated!

o

It's not a bodkin, because there is no way to use it to thread something.
I think Calliope's analysis is the most apt.

o

Thanks lindac. There are a few definitions of bodkin that are akin to the stiletto definition, no eye or threading as the primary function. Just a slender pointed tool used to make holes.

o

It's not a bodkin, because there is no way to use it to thread something.
I think Calliope's analysis is the most apt.

o

You have been most helpful.

I am not disagreeing with Calliope's analysis, just adding an additional term that I have discovered may be, in some cases, interchangeable.

Main Entry: bodkin
Pronunciation: \ˈbd-kən\
Function: noun
Etymology: Middle English bodekin
Date: 14th century

1 a : dagger, stiletto b : a sharp slender instrument for making holes in cloth c : an ornamental hairpin shaped like a stiletto
2 : a blunt needle with a large eye for drawing tape or ribbon through a loop or hem

o

I have another guess. Just a guess. Perhaps they are fids. A sailor's tool use for splicing rope. Old ones were often made from ivory or bone. The size looks right.

Here is a link that might be useful: Fids

o

They look really cool, whatever they are.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Antiques & Collectibles Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here