Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
deerlander

Sheffield style Silver on Copper Tea set markings

deerlander
14 years ago

Could anyone help me identify the age and value of a Sheffield style tea set? Apparently, it is mixed, as there is one set of marks on the tray and a different set on the other pieces.

I have a close up picture of each marking, but I'm not sure how to post them on this forum.

If you have any knowledge, please reply and I can send the pics direct.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Comments (17)

• lindac
    14 years ago

No one will be able to tell you a thing without pictures.
    You say "sheffield style"....what does that mean?
    go to Photobucket and upload the pictures there following directions.
    Also a picture of the whole teaset would be good.
    One of the problems is that there is "Old Sheffield" which is a sheet of pure silver rolled with copper and formed inot a teapot pitcher or whatever.....and then there is electroplated ware over copper, much newer and less valuable...
    And the style and condition affects value.
    Linda C

• deerlander
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks for responding Linda,

I say Sheffield because I know so little about it, and the closest info I could find on the Web were sites with that name.

I have a link now to Photobucket below with shots of the markings and pieces. The set looks to be in good condition, with no copper showing through that I could see. I was told not to use silver cleaner as this could remove some of the silver coating.

I notice some of the other threads here have pictures imbedded in the message, I couldn't figure out how to do that.

I appreciate your help.

Thanks,

Kent

Here is a link that might be useful: Silver Tea Set

• lindac
    14 years ago

It's electroplated, thes tyle looks to be 1910 to maybe 1940 to me. The one mark is that of Lehman brothers who started business in 1905. The other mark I don't know and didn't take the time to search. It is of the type known as faux hallmarks, similar to British Sterling marks, but not similar enough to invoke a law suit!
    Whoever told you not to use silver cleaner didn't know much about silver. Yes, silver cleaner can wear away the silver on plated ware (which is why sterling is more desirable) but dirty black silver is of no value nor use.
    Get some good quality silver polish like International or Wrights,w ash the pieces with soap and water and polish them up with silver polish and finish by washing again and drying with a soft cloth.
    Estimated value....$75 to $100...if it cleans up well.
    Linda C

• ekn1960
    13 years ago

I have 2 server's somewhat identical to the above posting. My server's have 3 stamps on the bottem. A crown, A "S", and a shield. Under these stamps are the words etched "Silver and Copper" These pieces have been in my family for over 50 years. Can anyone help me find what would be the going price on them.
    thank you

• BrendaMarie2u_aol_com
    13 years ago

I have a tea set with those symbols ( crown, S and shield on the bottom of the tray ) also. But is says silver plate under the symbols and nothing else. Can anyone give me any information?

• lindac
    13 years ago

Look through this site and see if you find the marks here.
    Linda c

Here is a link that might be useful: silver marks

• myjhanson_netzero_com
    12 years ago

I have tea set - coffee pot on cradle, another coffee pot,
    one tea pot, sugar & creamer, plus large tray.
    On the bottom the hallmarks are crown, S, shield, silver
    over copper. I think my mother got this in the 1950 in Texas.
    Could you please let me know the marker and approximately
    the value of this set. It is in excellent condition.
    Thank you
    M. Hanson

• lindac
    12 years ago

Impossible to tell much without a picture, both of the set and the marks on the bottom. It's silver plate, but any value will be determined not only by the condition but also by the style.
    Linda C

• djunter59
    8 years ago

I am trying to find out about my Silver Pots. Red letters at the bottom say Silver on Copper.

• lindac92
    8 years ago

Red letters?? never say red o n a silver plated item. Can you post a picture of the marks.
    I am sure it is electroplated silver over copper but can't tell you the maker.

• djunter59
    8 years ago

It says Academy Silver on Copper

what would be the Retail value of all 4?

• lindac92
    8 years ago

Well, there is a set like yours on eBay listed for a starting bid of $69 that has no bids.....so I would guestimate you might get $50 from all 4 pieces, perhaps less. It's Plate of the 1950's era and not top quality.

• icesk8r_mom
    2 years ago

Any idea the age or value? Estate sale find. Says “Made in England”.

• lindac92
    2 years ago

Electro plated ware, if in good condition might bring $75.

• icesk8r_mom
    2 years ago

Thank you. I didn’t overpay. 😉

• Randy Dungo
    last year

Any idea the age or value?ROSB silver on copper