Return to the Antiques & Collectibles Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Need help identifying age/ retailer 'Ellis' on Japy Frares clock.

Posted by stuartbe2012 (My Page) on
Mon, May 14, 12 at 10:28

Hello,

i have an old clock,

on the mechanism is a stamp written "Japy Frares & C - G Med. D'Honneur" could anyone please give me some information regarding the age of the clock mechanism from this stamp?

also on the face of the clock is the retailers name "Ellis" i have searched the internet far and wide and the only thing i can find that slightly matches is "Tiffany, Young & Ellis". does anyone by any chance have any info on the retailer "Ellis",

all you help would be very much appreciated,

i would upload some images but im not sure how to on this post,

thanks again,

Stu

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Need help identifying age/ retailer 'Ellis' on Japy Frares cl

"Japy Freres & Cie Grd Med. D'Honneur." means it (the movement) was mads some time AFTER the company (Japy Freres) won the Grand Medal of Honor (which they did at the Paris exhibition in 1855) ... they also won a medal in 1867 - what is the date on that stamp?

Japy founded one of the first mass-production clockworks factories, and sold just the movements to various companies who put the works into clocks of theiur design ... and then the clocks were sold on to others who often had them marked with their shop names.

Thus you can have a clock with a movement marked Japy, case marked by John Doe, and the whole thing marked "Baily, Banks and Biddle".

They were usually sold to high-end case makers and eventually sold by posh retailers, so they are well worth tracking down.

Pictures of the clock and the marks would help narrow the date a bit.

Here is a link that might be useful: Japy Freres

o
retailer 'Ellis' on Japy Frares clock.

The "Ellis" of Tiffany, Young and Ellis retired before Japy won the medal, so it's not that Ellis.

That leaves you a lot of possible small jewelers and shops who could have sold it in the US, Canada, or the UK ...

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Antiques & Collectibles Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here