Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
paulette_gardener

Primitive Grain Bin

paulette_gardener
17 years ago

Anybody have any idea what the value of this would be? I found it in an outbuilding on a farm I bought. House built in 1890s. Can't find anything quite like it.

Here is a link that might be useful: {{gwi:1382932}}

Comments (8)

• lindac
    17 years ago

Is the top ply wood? Hard to see.....
    For something like what you showed, in the condition you showed it, and at a country auction, thge value might be $50 or so....
    But, with that broken piece of wood artfully repaired and the whole of it rubbed with MinWax oil finish and placed for sale in a designer's sort of store, it might bring $400 or so.
    Linda C

• paulette_gardener
    Original Author
    17 years ago

No plywood at all. All solid wood. It is not a broken piece of wood. It is a curved sliding door. Each of the three compartments has one. The others are up in the picture, with the left one partially up. It is about 5 feet long, 2-1/2 feet high and 1-1/2 feet deep. Blue paint. The ridges on top are apparently there so that another could be set on top and sit securely.

My understanding was that to retain the value, primitive antiques should NOT be refinished.

• lindac
    17 years ago

That piece on the front between the first bin on the left and the next isn't broken? Looks like it..
    I see no blue paint? Where is that?
    Of course if it needs no repair don't do anything to the finish....that's only to blend in repairs and new wood!
    Those curved doors, if they work and are intact make a huge difference! And if it has blue paint that's another plus...."old blue paint" is always good....much better than "old brown paint"...don't know why but it is!
    The doors and the lack of needing repairs makes the value about double....at least!
    Think what a display piece that would make for a shop?
    I know of several shops, one a floral shop and the other a high end department store, where all the display pieces are antiques! Wonderful old walnut turned leg drop leaf tables, old cupboards, hold scarves and such, stacks of sweaters sit on an old table...
    If you want to sell it, think of such a place.
    Linda C

• mrskjun
    17 years ago

I recently saw an identical bin for sale on the internet. If you sliding doors are in working condition as this one was, it was being sold for 975.00.

Betty

• paulette_gardener
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Can you please post the URL of that eBay page, or give me the item #? I couldn't find it. Thanks.

• mrskjun
    17 years ago

It wasn't ebay, it was an online antique shop. I'll see if I can find it again.

Betty

• seamommy
    17 years ago

Well, I'm not an antique dealer, and I only have a few antiques myself, but I know what I like and I think your bin is wonderful. Primitives are very hot right now and I dont't see how lindac can possibly say it's only worth $50. A thing like that in the antiques stores would go for a couple thou easy. It's very nice. Don't refinish it.

Cheryl

• paulette_gardener
    Original Author
    17 years ago

I took it out in the open this weekend. It is blue-gray, with horshoe nails.