Return to the Antiques & Collectibles Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Is this really a "mid-centruy" end table?

Posted by nosoccermom (My Page) on
Thu, May 2, 13 at 8:55

Underneath, it says "Virginia Maid." And is it walnut? It's less red than in the picture.
 photo table2_zpsb12b172d.jpg

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Is this really a "mid-centruy" end table?

Looks like the real deal to me - Danish Modern by Lane.

You can search eBay for prices of 'mid century Lane end tables'.

o

Thanks so much for the feedback.
It has some scratches and some rings. Is Restore-a-Finish the way to go? And if yes, do I use neutral or Walnut?

o

I like the beat-up patina. :)

You might check the woodworking forum for advice on refinishing. I would do as little as possible to it--maybe start with fine steel wool and denatured alcohol.

o

Sorry, my table looks a lot crappier.
 photo 0502131333b_zps7499ecc3.jpg

photo 0502131333_zpscf0566e0.jpg

o

I'd call it a coffee table meant for a central location in a living room. I can't identify the wood. It may be walnut and maple. There could be wild cherry present. The light colored "key" pieces in the corners may be maple. The top surface finish is roughed up, but wait until you know what you have before you go scraping and sanding on it.

The legs are not well braced against side forces.

o

Yep, that is some kinda patina there! I'd still try the denatured alcohol first, to remove the old junk.

jemdandy, I respectfully disagree. Notice the front curve of the shelf--it is not repeated on the back, leading me to believe that the straight side is meant to sit against a wall.

Edited to add link.

Here is a link that might be useful: a set

This post was edited by mama_goose on Fri, May 3, 13 at 8:32

o

Wow, you are very observant. Yes, there's only one side that's curved on the bottom shelf; also, the table is really sturdy!
I tried the denatured alcohol and then some mineral spirits, and while it's cleaner, it still has a "lot of patina." So, next step will be the Restor-a-Finish.

o

Looks like a nicer end table but similar to ours that we bought in 1965.

o

You are right, mama_goose. The shelf is curved on one end. I missed that. I was having trouble sorting it out due to the wide angle perspective. When I saw the top view, I realized that the table was more square than my first perception.

o

I am a mid-century modern 'product' also--I think I must have an ancient memory of this style from childhood. ;)

o

OK, this is what it looks like after Restore-a-Finish.
 photo table2_zps26c1d938.jpg
 photo table4_zps86e7ba40.jpg
 photo table3_zps386d73ad.jpg
 photo table1_zpsbbc857ee.jpg

I didn't use steel wool just a rag. Now perhaps some wax?
However, also realized that I don't particularly like it with my greenish leather couch.

o

It looks much better, but still has some life. Maybe a lamp, or an accessory or two will help it 'play nice' with the couch.

You don't happen to have one of those black panther lamps with a greenish Venetian shade, do you? ;)

Here is a link that might be useful: lamp

o
RE: Is this really a "mid-century" end table?

That's quite a lamp...
The table isn't really my style --- so I'm trying to sell it.
It's just too scary when an "antique" is younger than yourself.

o

To Ashley. I still have it but think that shipping would not be worth it. There is actually one very similar on CL in your area.

This post was edited by nosoccermom on Tue, Dec 24, 13 at 9:39

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Antiques & Collectibles Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here