Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
nosoccermom

Is this really a "mid-centruy" end table?

nosoccermom
10 years ago

Underneath, it says "Virginia Maid." And is it walnut? It's less red than in the picture.
{{gwi:1382910}}

Comments (14)

• mama goose_gw zn6OH
    10 years ago

Looks like the real deal to me - Danish Modern by Lane.

You can search eBay for prices of 'mid century Lane end tables'.

• nosoccermom
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks so much for the feedback.
    It has some scratches and some rings. Is Restore-a-Finish the way to go? And if yes, do I use neutral or Walnut?

• mama goose_gw zn6OH
    10 years ago

I like the beat-up patina. :)

You might check the woodworking forum for advice on refinishing. I would do as little as possible to it--maybe start with fine steel wool and denatured alcohol.

• nosoccermom
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Sorry, my table looks a lot crappier.

{{gwi:1382912}}

• jemdandy
    10 years ago

I'd call it a coffee table meant for a central location in a living room. I can't identify the wood. It may be walnut and maple. There could be wild cherry present. The light colored "key" pieces in the corners may be maple. The top surface finish is roughed up, but wait until you know what you have before you go scraping and sanding on it.

The legs are not well braced against side forces.

• mama goose_gw zn6OH
    10 years ago

Yep, that is some kinda patina there! I'd still try the denatured alcohol first, to remove the old junk.

jemdandy, I respectfully disagree. Notice the front curve of the shelf--it is not repeated on the back, leading me to believe that the straight side is meant to sit against a wall.

Edited to add link.

Here is a link that might be useful: a set

This post was edited by mama_goose on Fri, May 3, 13 at 8:32

• nosoccermom
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Wow, you are very observant. Yes, there's only one side that's curved on the bottom shelf; also, the table is really sturdy!
    I tried the denatured alcohol and then some mineral spirits, and while it's cleaner, it still has a "lot of patina." So, next step will be the Restor-a-Finish.

• sheilajoyce_gw
    10 years ago

Looks like a nicer end table but similar to ours that we bought in 1965.

• jemdandy
    10 years ago

You are right, mama_goose. The shelf is curved on one end. I missed that. I was having trouble sorting it out due to the wide angle perspective. When I saw the top view, I realized that the table was more square than my first perception.

• mama goose_gw zn6OH
    10 years ago

I am a mid-century modern 'product' also--I think I must have an ancient memory of this style from childhood. ;)

• nosoccermom
    Original Author
    10 years ago

OK, this is what it looks like after Restore-a-Finish.

{{gwi:1382914}}
    {{gwi:1382915}}
    {{gwi:1382916}}

I didn't use steel wool just a rag. Now perhaps some wax?
    However, also realized that I don't particularly like it with my greenish leather couch.

• mama goose_gw zn6OH
    10 years ago

It looks much better, but still has some life. Maybe a lamp, or an accessory or two will help it 'play nice' with the couch.

You don't happen to have one of those black panther lamps with a greenish Venetian shade, do you? ;)

{{gwi:1382917}}

Here is a link that might be useful: lamp

• nosoccermom
    Original Author
    10 years ago

That's quite a lamp...
    The table isn't really my style --- so I'm trying to sell it.
    It's just too scary when an "antique" is younger than yourself.

• nosoccermom
    Original Author
    10 years ago

To Ashley. I still have it but think that shipping would not be worth it. There is actually one very similar on CL in your area.

This post was edited by nosoccermom on Tue, Dec 24, 13 at 9:39