Return to the Antiques & Collectibles Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Can anyone tell me how old and value of this ashtray?

Posted by huntmarv (My Page) on
Thu, May 30, 13 at 8:41

It is a California Original with the number 562 USA on the bottom and Calif. Orig. on the bottom. It measures 13 3/4" long x 10 1/4" wide x 2 1/4" deep... There is also a circled letter C on the botttom. It has never been uses and belonged to my aunt who never smoked.
Thanks

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Can anyone tell me how old and value of this ashtray?

Can you provide a photo of the bottom and close-ups of the markings? That would be a big help.

Is the tray metal or ceramic?

The perimeter of the tray has flutes sized for cigarettes, but it is a big ash tray. At approximately 14: x 10", it could handle a big cigar. Do you know if this tray was intended for use by a sizeable number of smokers such as a hotel lobby or the sitting room jn a men's club?

o

says California pottery was in business til 1929.. i'd guess the ash tray comes from the 20's era.

Here is a link that might be useful: wiki for california pottery

o

It was not all that uncommon for quite large ashtrays to be used in the home, and many of the art potteries made them. I have a couple whomping huge weller ones.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Antiques & Collectibles Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here