Return to the Antiques & Collectibles Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Ladder back chairs

Posted by gardnpondr (My Page) on
Wed, May 19, 10 at 5:02

I have some ladder back chairs a friend gave to me. She was throwing them away because the straw bottoms in them were messed up. I want to put some bottoms in them and use them on my patio with a table I have out there. The patio is covered. But the problem is, I am having fits trying to find some instructions on how to make the bottoms. I don't want the straw bottoms, I'd like to have a solid wood piece or some slats. I even bought some black leather when I was in TN. last time. I could use that to put bottoms in them if I could just figure out how. Any ideas? or links to help me?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Ladder back chairs

To replace the reed with leather, cut a shape that will fill the seat and has flaps long enough to wrap under the sides and be nailed there, or wrap completely around and be laced or riveted into place.

You can weave anything you want into a new seat, including replacement reeds.

o
RE: Ladder back chairs

Here is a way to make the seat using old neckties. I have seen these done and they come out beautiful!!!

Here is a link that might be useful: HomeEnvy - Reupholstering a chair with neckties

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Antiques & Collectibles Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here